1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of spherical shell

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1
    Hi

i have to give a presentation on an example of the defining equation for the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell. I have to follow the example in my book "elements of newtonian mechanics". I get most of it but there are a couple steps that the book skips that i cannot. I was wondering if anyone could better explain whats happening to me.

There is a thin spherical shell of mass M and radius R which is symetrically identical in the x, y and z coordinate system.

Ix = Iy = Iz

now Ix = integral (y^2 + z^2)dM i dont get this step.

R^2 = x^2 but i dont get the geometry of why x^2 = y^2 + z^2

Iy = integral (z^2 + x ^2)dM etc

now it says Itotal = 1/3(Ix + Iy + iz)

where does the 1/3 come from. Is it just taking the average or does it have to do with the parrallel axis theorem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

I'm not sure if you have figures in your text, but I can't see them.

Supposing I understood the situation correctly, the answer to your problem(s) would be the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Jan 29, 2006 #3
    yeah i understand that now. I still dont get why the total inertia is 1/3(Ix + Iy + iz) though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?