Moment of inertia of two rods (T shape)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the moment of inertia of two rods attached in a T shape. The correct equation is found to be I = (1/3)*m*l2+(1/12)*m*l2+m*l2, using the parallel axis theorem. The conversation also mentions the confusion over the equation containing three masses when there are only two objects with mass in the problem.
IanAlpace

Homework Statement

Hey, just wanted to ask a quick question about how to find the moment of inertia of two rods (of equal mass and length) attached together in a T shape (the axis is at the bottom of the vertical rod). My calculations got the correct result but I just wanted to check whether my equation is correct.

Homework Equations

m = 1,00kg
l = 1,00m
I = (1/3)*m*l2+(1/12)*m*l2+m*l2
I = 1,42kgm2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a part of my homework and the answer given by my equation matches the answer given by my teacher, but I'm a little confused about the equation. I'm mostly curious about why the equation contains three masses, when the problem only contains two objects with mass. The initial equation that I came up with (I = (1/3)*m*l2+(1/12)*m*l2) got the wrong answer which left me a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi IanAlpace and welcome to PF.

The moment of inertia of the vertical part of the "T" is ##\frac{1}{3}ml^2##. The other two terms are the moment of inertia of the horizontal part according to the parallel axis theorem.

Likes IanAlpace
To anyone who may stumble upon this thread..
I figured out my equation is indeed correct for this specific problem. Because there is two rods with the same mass and length, in order to find the correct equation and answer I used Steiner's parallel axis theorem, according to which:

Moment of inertia of the T shaped contraption is:
inertia of vertical rod + inertia of horizontal rod + mass*distance2
(distance is the distance between the two axis of the two rods, in this case distance is equal to l)

I = (1/3)ml2+(1/12)ml2+ml2

1. What is the moment of inertia of a T-shaped rod?

The moment of inertia of a T-shaped rod depends on its mass, length, and distribution of mass. It can be calculated using the formula I = I1 + I2, where I1 and I2 are the moments of inertia of the individual rods making up the T-shape.

2. How is the moment of inertia affected by the position of the rods?

The moment of inertia is affected by the position of the rods because it determines the distribution of mass. The farther the rods are from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be.

3. What is the difference between the moment of inertia of a T-shaped rod and a solid rod?

The moment of inertia of a T-shaped rod is greater than that of a solid rod with the same mass and length. This is because the T-shape has a larger distance between its mass and the axis of rotation, resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a T-shaped object?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational motion of a T-shaped object by determining its resistance to changes in rotational motion. A higher moment of inertia means it will be more difficult to change the object's rotational speed or direction.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a T-shaped rod be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a T-shaped rod can be changed by altering its mass distribution or the position of the rods. For example, if the rods are moved closer to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia will decrease.