Moment of Inertia Problem: cylinder pivoting ona bearing

In summary, a solid cylinder with a mass of 2.07 kg and a radius of 0.135 m is pivoting on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force equal to the weight of a 0.570 kg mass. The system starts from rest and the mass moves a distance of 0.350 m in a time of 0.490 s. The objective is to find the moment of inertia (Icm) for the cylinder. The first step involves solving for acceleration using the given time, distance, and initial velocity. The second step involves dividing the torque (T) by the angular acceleration (alpha) to find the moment of inertia. However,
delecticious

Homework Statement

M, a solid cylinder (M=2.07 kg, R=0.135 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.570 kg mass. Starting from rest, the mass now moves a distance 0.350 m in a time of 0.490 s. Find Icm of the new cylinder.
prob16b_002masspulley2.gif

Homework Equations

T -torque
I - moment of inertia
s = 1/2(v0 +vf)t
T/alpha = I
transational acceleration (at) = (alpha)r
translational force (Ft) = m(at)
T = Ft(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by solving for accleration using the time, distance and initial velocity given, but it's from there where I'm completely confused. To find I, I have to divide T by alpha, but if T is equal to m(at)r which can also be rewiten as mr^2(alpha) then won't the alpha's cancel out making fiding the acceleration useless? When I do that I get mr^2 = I but that can't be right. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
delecticious said:
M, a solid cylinder (M=2.07 kg, R=0.135 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.570 kg mass. Starting from rest, the mass now moves a distance 0.350 m in a time of 0.490 s. Find Icm of the new cylinder.
I don't understand the problem. What new cylinder? (Did you present the problem exactly as given?)

Is that your figure or one that came with the problem?

sorry, this problem has 4 different steps to it. The first step had a figure and the last 3 go with this figure. In the last step they changed the moment of inertia for the cylinder but everything else concerning the cylinder is the same, so disregard the "new" in front of cylinder if you like, it makes sense in the series of 4 steps but since you've only seen this part of the question it's just as well the only cylinder.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a cylinder pivoting on a bearing?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder pivoting on a bearing depends on the mass and radius of the cylinder as well as the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation. It can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius.

2. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotation of a cylinder on a bearing?

The moment of inertia determines how easily the cylinder can be rotated on the bearing. The higher the moment of inertia, the more force is needed to change the rotation of the cylinder. This is similar to how a heavier object is harder to move than a lighter one.

3. Can the moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass or radius of the cylinder. For example, increasing the mass or radius will result in a higher moment of inertia and vice versa. The distribution of mass also affects the moment of inertia.

4. How does the bearing affect the moment of inertia problem?

The bearing provides a pivot point for the cylinder to rotate on. It does not directly affect the moment of inertia, but it allows for the calculation and analysis of the cylinder's rotation. A smooth and well-lubricated bearing can reduce friction and make the rotation easier.

5. Can the moment of inertia problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the moment of inertia problem is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the rotation of various objects, such as wheels, gears, and flywheels. It is also important in understanding the stability and control of rotating systems.