1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia / torque question

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    Deleted Deleted
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2
    ummm. i think you mean to say it is attached to a solid 'brick'
    [tex] \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex]
    where [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] is the position vector from the axis of rotation to where the force is acting, and [itex] \vec{F} [/itex] is the force.
    the direction of the vector produced by the cross product is given by the right hand rule.
  4. Dec 12, 2005 #3
    oops. i meant disk.
  5. Dec 12, 2005 #4
    bump bump bump
  6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    anyone? anyone?
  7. Dec 12, 2005 #6
  8. Dec 12, 2005 #7
    One qn.. How did u actually arrive at this?
  9. Dec 12, 2005 #8
    added the moment of inertia of the hoop (mr^2) witht he moment of inertia of the disk (.5mr^2).. good chance its wrong, but itdoesnt really matter at this point, i just turned the assignment in a few minutes ago
  10. Dec 12, 2005 #9
    Moment of inertia shld be the same as the formula for torque=F*d=mgd.
    I'm not sure bout it either. But are u sure mr^2 is the right formula for moment of a force?
  11. Dec 12, 2005 #10

Science Advisor

You deleted the original question. How are we going to help if we don't know what you are asking? However, if it is a homework problem, it belongs in the homework section.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?