Moment of Inertia, working backwards

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Niall
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I've to work out b & d in this equation.

I=bd^3/12

I know that the ratio between b & d in this case is 1.166 and I am given the value of I.

It is an engineering problem as the software will only allow the use of square/rectangular or round section but we are using H section and we are allowed to substitue a rectangle of the same h/w ratio and moment of inertia.

This kind of thing was never what I was much good at although I believe it may be possible to work out but I don't know how.
Thanks
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Niall said:
I know that the ratio between b & d in this case is 1.166 and I am given the value of I.
Do you mean ##\frac{b}{d} = 1.166##? Then ##b = 1.166d##, put that into your equation for the moment of inertia, and solve for ##d##.
 
Yes , I managed to figure it out a few min ago.

Ixx = (D (1.116) * D ^ 3) / 12

D^4 = I * 12 * 1.116

D = 4√ I * 12 * 1.116
 
In your original post you used "d". In your response you used "D". It is a bad idea to switch symbols like that.