Moments of Inertia: Hi, Need Help Understanding?

In summary: Please explain the reasoning behind your calculation.In summary, the question discusses the moment of inertia of a linked mechanism made up of two identical slender rods. The position of the center of gravity is at point D, and the moment of inertia about points B and D are (5/12)ml^2 and (7/24)ml^2 respectively. The radius of gyration about point G can be found using the parallel axis theorem.
Gunter_ZA
Hi,

I need some assistance understanding moments of inertia. I am doing some review for an upcoming exam, however I am slightly stumped by this question. I have already tried googling "moments of inertia" to try and understand the concept better, but I am having issues knowing when to apply which formulas.

I have attached my specific question and the "answer" to the question, hopefully someone can help me understand how to get the answer.

----

Two identical slender rods of length l and mass m are linked together at 90deg, as shown in figure Q4a (image attached), to form a link in a mechanism. Point B is midway between A and C, and points B, D, E, F and G are equally spaced along the lower link.

i) Determine the position of the center of gravity of the link

ii) Find the moment of inertia of the link about the point B

iii) Find the moment of inertia of the link about the point D

iv) Find the radius of gyration about the point G

fxfGv.png

---

ANSWERS:

i) Center of gravity is at D

ii) IB=(5/12)ml2 kg m2

iii) ID=(7/24)ml2 kg m2

iv) k= sqrt(17/24) l m

----

*My attempts*i)I know inherently that the centre of gravity is at D. How do i prove it mathematically?

----

ii)I get the moment of inertial about B like so:

I[subBb[/sub] = (ml2)/3 + ((ml2/3) - (ml2)/4)

But i don't understand why I am supposed to subtract. Is it because the centre of gravity is l/2 below B?

----
iii)For ID I get the answer by doing:

ID = ((ml2)/3 - (ml2)/4) + ((ml2)/(3*16)) + (9ml2)/(16*3)

Why do I subtract (ml2)/4) if that rod is above D?----

iv)I'm trying to use IG to find the radius of gyration:

So for IG

IG = (7/24)ml2 - ml2Here I am using the parallel axis theorem, but why do I subtract the (md2) of the AC rod from the Moment of inertia about D?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gunter_ZA said:
the centre of gravity is at D. How do i prove it mathematically?
It is obviously on the line BG, but where? You seem to have forgotten how to find a mass centre. It is the point about which the net first moment is zero. E.g. in the y direction, if D is the mass centre then measuring the yi offset of each element mi from D you want Σyimi=0.
Gunter_ZA said:
I get the moment of inertial about B like so:

I[subBb[/sub] = (ml2)/3 + ((ml2/3) - (ml2)/4)
By what logic? Normally you would just add up the MoIs of the simple parts. What is the MoI of AC about B? What is the MoI of BG about B?
Gunter_ZA said:
For ID I get the answer by doing:
Again, how do you explain the logic behind that?
(Can you see how to use the results of (i) and (ii) and the parallel axis theorem to answer (iii) quickly?)
Gunter_ZA said:
Here I am using the parallel axis theorem, but why do I subtract the (md2) of the AC rod from the Moment of inertia about D?
I have no idea why you would do such a subtraction, especially since it gives the wrong answer.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The result is also affected by the shape and distribution of the object's mass.

3. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand an object's rotational motion and how it responds to external forces. It is also used in engineering to design and analyze structures and machines.

4. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The factors that affect moment of inertia include the mass, shape, and distribution of an object's mass. The distance of the mass from the axis of rotation also plays a role in determining the moment of inertia.

5. How can I apply the concept of moment of inertia in real life?

The concept of moment of inertia can be applied in many real-life situations, such as designing a bicycle wheel to resist bending, calculating the torque needed to rotate a wind turbine, or understanding the stability of a spinning top. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to control rotational movements.