1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Conservation of Momentum Problem

1. Aug 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hello. i tried to solve for the problem, which was quite difficult for me and i'm not sure whether i approached it correctly, so if someone will help me figure it out thank you!

the problem:
    1. a 2 kg firework is shot vertically, at v=50 m/s
    a. what is the velocity and momentum of the firework as it reaches a height of 50 m'?
    b. in the height of 50 m' the firework explodes into two equal particles. particle 1 moves horizontally in 30 m/s.
    what's the horizontal velocity of particle 2 after the explosion? what's the velocity of particle 2 and it's direction.
    c. what's the kinetic energy of particle 2 when it reaches the floor?
    upload_2015-8-25_19-0-1.png
    this is my answer, explaining all the steps i took:
    upload_2015-8-25_20-24-32.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    View attachment 87789

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It's kind of hard to read your hand writing. So I didn't check it in detail.

4. Aug 25, 2015 #3
    thank you, sorry.. i tried to make it as organized as i could.. the thing that was hard for me the most was to find what's the horizontal velocity and velocity for the second particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted