Momentum and Kinetic Energy Question

In summary, two bodies with masses m and 3m collide in an inelastic head-on collision with a speed of 2 m/s. After the collision, the lighter body rebounds with a speed of 1 m/s in the same direction, while the heavier body moves in the opposite direction with a speed of 1 m/s. The loss of kinetic energy in the collision can be calculated by finding the kinetic energy of each body before and after the collision and taking the difference between them.
craig.16

Homework Statement

Two bodies approach each other with the same speed of 2 m/s and collide head-on in an
inelastic collision. The mass of one body is m, the other has mass 3m. After the collision, the
lighter body has rebounded to travel back along its original trajectory with speed 1 m/s.
(i) What is the speed and direction of the heavier body after the collision?
(ii) How much kinetic energy was lost in the collision?
(iii) After the collision, the lighter body is brought to rest by the application of a variable
force. Calculate the work done by this force on the lighter body.

Homework Equations

m(1)u(1)+m(2)u(2)=m(1)v(1)+m(2)v(2)
KE(before) does not equal KE(after)

The Attempt at a Solution

if I take the right as the positive x direction and take the lighter mass to be traveling right therefore implying the heavier mass to be traveling left as its a head on collision I get:
2m+3m(-2)=m(-1)+3mv
2m-6m=-m+3mv
-3m=3mv
v=-1m/s

If instead I take the heavier mass to be traveling right and the lighter mass to be traveling left I get:
3m(2)+m(-2)=3mv+m(1)
6m-2m=3mv+m
3m=3mv
v=1m/s

The problem isn't necessarily which one is right but the fact that if any of these are right then that would imply that its an elastic collision as the minus sign would be squared out from the first answer. Clearly I've done a small error somewhere like a minus sign or a plus sign within my calculation or maybe its a wrong sign in what I believe to be the equation for working out loss of kinetic energy. Any help on what I have done wrong and providing a full equation to work out loss of kinetic energy will be much appreciated just to double check I haven't got the equation wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
BOTH answers are correct, and in fact state the same thing:

They both say that after the collision, the heavier object is moving in the same direction it started moving at 1m/s.

In order to find the loss of kinetic energy, try calculating the kinetic energy of each object before the collision, and after the collision. How much less energy is there after the collision than there was before the collision?

Is the answer for loss of kinetic energy:
6J
because if so I know what I did wrong in the kinetic energy equation.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes how much motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum different from kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related, but they are not the same thing. Momentum describes the amount of motion an object has, while kinetic energy describes the energy an object has due to its motion.

3. How does momentum affect collisions?

In a collision between two objects, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This allows us to predict the outcome of a collision using the law of conservation of momentum.

4. Can an object have momentum without kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have momentum without having kinetic energy. This can occur if the object is at rest (zero velocity), but has mass. In this case, the object still has momentum, but no kinetic energy.

5. How is momentum related to force?

Momentum is directly related to force through Newton's second law of motion. This law states that the force applied to an object is equal to the change in its momentum over time. This means that a greater force will result in a greater change in momentum.