1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and net external force

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the picture

2. Relevant equations
    In the picture attached. 0219151551.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the firecracker problem, I believe the only net external force is gravity. Therefore using, Fnet * delta t = delta p. Change in momentum is 12 kg * m/s. Thus, the final momentum of the system is zero. Is this reasoning correct? Please let me know of any errors in my reasoning. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Right.

How did you conclude that?

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3
    The initial momentum of the system is 3kg * -4m/s = -12 kg * m/s. The change in momentum from gravity is 12 as I explained.
    Pf = Pi + Delta P
    Pf = -12 + 12 = 0

5. Feb 21, 2015 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

By saying "-4 m/s" you have defined a direction for positive and negative.
    The magnitude of the change in momentum is 12 kg.m/s, but Δp is a vector; what is it's direction?

6. Feb 21, 2015 #5
    Gravity then should be negative since it too acts downward. So, delta p should be -30 * 0.4 or -12? So final momentum of system is actually -24 kg * m/s. The bottom piece of mass 2kg must therefore be moving at -14 m/s, since the top piece of mass 1kg is moving at +4m/s, and the sum of these two final momenta must add up to -24 kg * m/s.

7. Feb 22, 2015 #6
    Is this reasoning correct?

8. Feb 22, 2015 #7

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Yes, it is correct.

9. Feb 22, 2015 #8
    0222151508.jpg
    I know in part b there is a net external force (gravity) that does positive work, fnet > 0, thus dp/dt is positive. Does the spring in part c increase or decrease the momentum of the system? I am not too sure of my answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted