Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Translation operator.

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    In the concept of translation operator, there's a line said that

pUIINX.gif

where gif.latex?T(0)=1.gif and pQzIHQ.gif

How could they interpret that this parameter ρ is really a momentum operator?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the position representation, the momentum along axis x is proportional to the derivative operator wrt x. This is a consequence of the Stone-von Neumann uniqueness theorem.

Since the infinitesimal generator of translations along x axis is proportional to the first derivative, again wrt x, it follows simply that the momentum along x is the generator of translations along the same axis, i.e. x.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand your notation. Anyway, in position representation, the translation operator is given by

[tex]\hat{U}(\vec{\xi})=\exp(\mathrm{i} \hat{\vec{p}} \cdot \vec{\xi}),[/tex]

where I've set [itex]\hbar=1[/itex] for simplification of notation. By definition it acts on a wave function in the domain of the momentum operator by

[tex]\hat{U}(\vec{\xi}) \psi(\vec{x}):=\psi(\vec{x}+\vec{\xi}).[/tex]

Comparing this to the Taylor-expansion formula,

[tex]\psi(\vec{x}+\vec{\xi})=\exp(\vec{\xi} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \psi(\vec{x}),[/tex]

immediately gives the well-known expression

[tex]\hat{\vec{p}}=-\mathrm{i} \vec{\nabla}[/tex]

for the momentum operator in the position representation.

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4
    @dextercioby: That's exactly what I want as an answer. Thanks.
    @vanhees71: Thanks for that reply :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook