1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Conservation of Turntable and Beetle System

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beetle with a mass of 30.0 g is initially at rest on the outer edge of a horizontal turntable that is also initially at rest. The turntable, which is free to rotate with no friction about an axis through its center, has a mass of 80.0 g and can be treated as a uniform disk. The beetle then starts to walk around the edge of the turntable, traveling at an angular velocity of 0.0600 rad/s clockwise with respect to the turntable.

a. With respect to you, motionless as you watch the beetle and turntable, what is the angular velocity of the beetle? Use a positive sign if the answer is clockwise, and a negative sign if the answer is counter-clockwise.

b. What is the angular velocity of the turntable (with respect to you)? Use a positive sign if the answer is clockwise, and a negative sign if the answer is counter-clockwise.

c. If a mark is placed on the turntable at the beetle’s starting point, how long does it take the beetle to reach the mark again?

2. Relevant equations

L= I theta L= mvrsin

3. The attempt at a solution

I know in order to find the angular velocity of the beetle with respect to me, i need to know the angular velocity of the turntable, but without the radius, i cannot figure out how to find this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi amb202! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Just call the radius r … you'll find it drops out in the end. :wink:

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    But wouldn't I need the angular velocity of the turntable to figure out the velocity of the beetle with respect to me?

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, and you can find that from the information given.

This is physics, not geometry …

you can't solve this just with geometry, you need a physical equation also …

which one do you think it is? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook