Angular velocity and angular momentum

In summary: Otherwise, you seem to understand what's going on. In summary, a small ball with a mass of 0.40 kg and a velocity of 3.00 m/s collides with a turntable with a radius of 0.80 m and a moment of inertia of 2.00 kg • m2 while rotating with an angular velocity of 1.50 rad/s about a vertical axis. The ball is caught by a small cup-shaped mechanism on the rim of the turntable. The resulting angular velocity of the turntable and ball together is 1.33 rad/s.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A turntable has a radius of 0.80 m and a moment of inertia of 2.00 kg • m2. The turntable is rotating with an angular velocity of 1.50 rad/s about a vertical axis though its center on frictionless bearings. A very small 0.40-kg ball is projected horizontally toward the turntable axis with a velocity of 3.00 m/s and is moving directly towards the center of the table. The ball is caught by a very small and very light cup-shaped mechanism on the rim of the turntable (see figure). What is the angular velocity of the turntable just after the ball is caught

Homework Equations

L= Iw
The inertia of the turntable = 2.0 kgm^2
The inertia of a solid sphere = 2/5*M*R^2
Li = initial angular momentum
Lf = final angular momentum (momentum after the ball is caught)
Lid = initial angular momentum of the disc
Lip = initial angular momentum of the particle
Lfd = final angular momentum of the disc
Lfp = final angular momentum of the particle
wft = angular velocity of the turntable after the ball is caught

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that Li = Lf

Li = Lid + Lip

Li = 2.0kg*1.50 rad/s + 0
Li = 3.50 kgm^2

Similarly, I thought that:
Lf = Lfd + Lfp
Lf = 2.0kgm^2/s*wft + 2/5*0.4kg*0.80^2*wft

3.50kgm^2/s = 2.1024wft
wft = 1.66476 kgm^2/s

As you can see this isn't an answer choice. Is it wrong for me to assume that the angular velocity of the particle after it is caught is the same as that of the turntables angular velocity?

Attachments

• phys.png
    phys.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 855
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure if I'm right, but hopefully this is one of the answer choices.

After the collision, the ball and the turntable should be turning together.

Ii*Wi=If*Wf

You can just add up the moments of inertia, so:

If=Turntable Moment + Ball Moment
The ball is small enough that we can treat it like a point particle (I see that you multiplied by 2/5, but that only works whenever the axis of rotation is through the diameter of the sphere, in this case the axis of rotation is a radius r from the ball), so ball moment=m*r^2

2.00*1.5=(2.00+0.4*0.8^2)*Wf
Wf=3/(2.256)
Wf=1.33

Please let me know if that's an answer.

Yes that is an answer. Thank you

The choices, which I forget to put in my original post are:

A) 1.33 rad/s
B) 0.75 rad/s
C) 0.30 rad/s
D) 0.50rad/s
E) 0.94 rad/s

Alright cool.

It looks like you just accidentally multiplied 2*1.5 incorrectly, and used the wrong moment of inertia for the ball.

I would say that your assumptions are not entirely correct. While it is true that angular momentum is conserved in this scenario, it is not necessarily true that the initial and final angular momenta are equal. This is because the particle has a non-zero angular momentum before it is caught by the cup-shaped mechanism, and this momentum is transferred to the turntable when the particle is caught.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation L=Iw, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and w is angular velocity. We can also use the conservation of angular momentum principle, which states that the total angular momentum before an event is equal to the total angular momentum after the event.

Before the ball is caught, the total angular momentum is given by Li = Lid + Lip, where Lid is the initial angular momentum of the turntable and Lip is the initial angular momentum of the particle. We can calculate Lid by using the equation L=Iw, where I is the moment of inertia of the turntable and w is its angular velocity. Thus, Lid = 2.00 kg•m^2 * 1.50 rad/s = 3.00 kg•m^2/s. We can also calculate Lip by using the equation L=mvR, where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and R is the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, R is equal to the radius of the turntable, so Lip = 0.40 kg * 3.00 m/s * 0.80 m = 0.96 kg•m^2/s. Therefore, Li = 3.96 kg•m^2/s.

After the ball is caught, the total angular momentum is given by Lf = Lfd + Lfp, where Lfd is the final angular momentum of the turntable and Lfp is the final angular momentum of the particle. We can calculate Lfd by using the equation L=Iw, where I is the moment of inertia of the turntable and w is its final angular velocity. Since the ball is caught by the cup-shaped mechanism on the rim of the turntable, the moment of inertia of the turntable changes from 2.00 kg•m^2 to 2.00 kg•m^2 + 0.40 kg•m^2 = 2.40 kg•m^2.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a central point. It is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity describes the rotational motion of an object, while linear velocity describes the straight-line motion of an object. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. How is angular momentum related to angular velocity?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is directly proportional to the object's angular velocity, meaning that an increase in angular velocity will result in an increase in angular momentum.

4. Can angular velocity change?

Yes, angular velocity can change if the object's rotational speed or direction changes. This can happen due to external forces acting on the object, such as friction or torque.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular velocity and angular momentum?

Some examples of angular velocity and angular momentum include the rotation of a spinning top, the movement of a Ferris wheel, and the spinning of a figure skater during a pirouette.