Momentum density of states for pion decay.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
pondzo
Messages
168
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to calculate the ratio of the density of states factor, ##\rho(p)##, for the two decays:
$$\pi^+\rightarrow e^++\nu_e~~$$ and $$\pi^+\rightarrow \mu^++\nu_{\mu}~~$$

Homework Equations



##\rho(p)~dp=\frac{V}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}p^2~dp~d\Omega##

Which is the number of states with momentum between ##p## and ##dp## and lie within a small solid angle ##d\Omega##. ##V## is an arbitrary volume to which we confine the system.

Also, ##\rho_{Total}=\rho_1(p_1)\rho_2(p_2)...\rho_n(p_n)##

The Attempt at a Solution



Using the above equation:

##\rho_n(p_n)=\frac{V}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}p_n^2~d\Omega##

The ratio R should be:

##R=\frac{p^2(e^+)p^2(\nu_e)}{p^2(\mu^+)p^2(\nu_{\mu})}##

The only way I can think to proceed is:

##M_{\pi^+}^2=(P_e+P_{\mu_e})^2~~\text{ where } P_x \text{ is the 4-momentum of particle } x##
After assuming the mass of the decay products is negligible when compared to its momentum, and that the angle between the two products is 180 degrees, I arrive at: ##p^2(e)p^2(\mu_e)=\frac{1}{16}M_{\pi^+}^4##.
But I will just get the same expression for the second decay, so I feel I am doing it wrong. Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let the sub script one mean electron and the subscript two mean electron neutrino, then:

##M_{\pi^+}^2=(P_1+P_2)^2)##
##~~~~~~~=E_1^2+E_2^2+2E_1E_2-p_1^2-p_2^2-2\vec{p_1}\cdot\vec{p_2}##
Using ##E_i^2=m_i^2+p_i^2##
##~~~~~~~=m_1^2+m_2^2+2p_1p_2+2\sqrt{(m_1^2+p_1^2)(m_2^2+p_2^2)}## assumes angle between ##p_1## and ##p_2 ## is 180 degrees
Where can I go from here? Maybe I need to make some sort of approximation.. Do I use the fact that ##\vec{p_1}=-\vec{p_2}## in the pions rest frame ?
 
Last edited:
I would certainly work in the pion rest frame, yes. You can approximate the neutrino masses with 0, and if you don't care about the amplitude of the decay process I guess the same works for the electron.