1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum density of states for pion decay.

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to calculate the ratio of the density of states factor, ##\rho(p)##, for the two decays:
    $$\pi^+\rightarrow e^++\nu_e~~$$ and $$\pi^+\rightarrow \mu^++\nu_{\mu}~~$$

2. Relevant equations

##\rho(p)~dp=\frac{V}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}p^2~dp~d\Omega##

Which is the number of states with momentum between ##p## and ##dp## and lie within a small solid angle ##d\Omega##. ##V## is an arbitrary volume to which we confine the system.

Also, ##\rho_{Total}=\rho_1(p_1)\rho_2(p_2)...\rho_n(p_n)##

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the above equation:

##\rho_n(p_n)=\frac{V}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}p_n^2~d\Omega##

The ratio R should be:

##R=\frac{p^2(e^+)p^2(\nu_e)}{p^2(\mu^+)p^2(\nu_{\mu})}##

The only way I can think to proceed is:

##M_{\pi^+}^2=(P_e+P_{\mu_e})^2~~\text{ where } P_x \text{ is the 4-momentum of particle } x##
    After assuming the mass of the decay products is negligible when compared to its momentum, and that the angle between the two products is 180 degrees, I arrive at: ##p^2(e)p^2(\mu_e)=\frac{1}{16}M_{\pi^+}^4##.
    But I will just get the same expression for the second decay, so I feel I am doing it wrong. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you neglect masses, the decays are completely identical.
    The muon mass is not small compared to the pion mass.

4. Mar 4, 2016 #3
    Let the sub script one mean electron and the subscript two mean electron neutrino, then:

##M_{\pi^+}^2=(P_1+P_2)^2)##
    ##~~~~~~~=E_1^2+E_2^2+2E_1E_2-p_1^2-p_2^2-2\vec{p_1}\cdot\vec{p_2}##
    Using ##E_i^2=m_i^2+p_i^2##
    ##~~~~~~~=m_1^2+m_2^2+2p_1p_2+2\sqrt{(m_1^2+p_1^2)(m_2^2+p_2^2)}## assumes angle between ##p_1## and ##p_2 ## is 180 degrees
    Where can I go from here? Maybe I need to make some sort of approximation.. Do I use the fact that ##\vec{p_1}=-\vec{p_2}## in the pions rest frame ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. Mar 4, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would certainly work in the pion rest frame, yes. You can approximate the neutrino masses with 0, and if you don't care about the amplitude of the decay process I guess the same works for the electron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted