Momentum density of states for pion decay.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ratio of the density of states factor ##\rho(p)## for the two decays ##\pi^+\rightarrow e^++\nu_e## and ##\pi^+\rightarrow \mu^++\nu_{\mu}##. The equations used are ##\rho(p)~dp=\frac{V}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}p^2~dp~d\Omega## and ##\rho_{Total}=\rho_1(p_1)\rho_2(p_2)...\rho_n(p_n)##. The solution involves assuming negligible masses for the decay products, and working in the pion rest frame.
pondzo

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the ratio of the density of states factor, ##\rho(p)##, for the two decays:
$$\pi^+\rightarrow e^++\nu_e~~$$ and $$\pi^+\rightarrow \mu^++\nu_{\mu}~~$$

Homework Equations

##\rho(p)~dp=\frac{V}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}p^2~dp~d\Omega##

Which is the number of states with momentum between ##p## and ##dp## and lie within a small solid angle ##d\Omega##. ##V## is an arbitrary volume to which we confine the system.

Also, ##\rho_{Total}=\rho_1(p_1)\rho_2(p_2)...\rho_n(p_n)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation:

##\rho_n(p_n)=\frac{V}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}p_n^2~d\Omega##

The ratio R should be:

##R=\frac{p^2(e^+)p^2(\nu_e)}{p^2(\mu^+)p^2(\nu_{\mu})}##

The only way I can think to proceed is:

##M_{\pi^+}^2=(P_e+P_{\mu_e})^2~~\text{ where } P_x \text{ is the 4-momentum of particle } x##
After assuming the mass of the decay products is negligible when compared to its momentum, and that the angle between the two products is 180 degrees, I arrive at: ##p^2(e)p^2(\mu_e)=\frac{1}{16}M_{\pi^+}^4##.
But I will just get the same expression for the second decay, so I feel I am doing it wrong. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you neglect masses, the decays are completely identical.
The muon mass is not small compared to the pion mass.

Let the sub script one mean electron and the subscript two mean electron neutrino, then:

##M_{\pi^+}^2=(P_1+P_2)^2)##
##~~~~~~~=E_1^2+E_2^2+2E_1E_2-p_1^2-p_2^2-2\vec{p_1}\cdot\vec{p_2}##
Using ##E_i^2=m_i^2+p_i^2##
##~~~~~~~=m_1^2+m_2^2+2p_1p_2+2\sqrt{(m_1^2+p_1^2)(m_2^2+p_2^2)}## assumes angle between ##p_1## and ##p_2 ## is 180 degrees
Where can I go from here? Maybe I need to make some sort of approximation.. Do I use the fact that ##\vec{p_1}=-\vec{p_2}## in the pions rest frame ?

Last edited:
I would certainly work in the pion rest frame, yes. You can approximate the neutrino masses with 0, and if you don't care about the amplitude of the decay process I guess the same works for the electron.

What is the momentum density of states for pion decay?

The momentum density of states for pion decay is a measure of the distribution of the momenta of particles produced during the decay of a pion. It describes the number of particles with different momenta that are produced in the decay process.

How is the momentum density of states for pion decay calculated?

The momentum density of states for pion decay is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the energy and momentum conservation laws in the decay process. This formula can be derived from theoretical models or experimental data.

Why is the momentum density of states for pion decay important?

The momentum density of states for pion decay is important because it helps us understand the dynamics of the decay process and the properties of the particles involved. It also provides valuable information for particle physics experiments and theoretical models.

What factors can affect the momentum density of states for pion decay?

The momentum density of states for pion decay can be affected by various factors such as the energy and momentum of the initial pion, the mass and properties of the particles produced, and any interactions or decays that occur during the process.

How is the momentum density of states for pion decay used in research?

The momentum density of states for pion decay is used in research to study the properties of particles involved in the decay process, to test theoretical models and predictions, and to improve our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.