Momentum eigenstates particle in box

In summary, quantum mechanics states that measurement of an observable always yields one of its eigenvalues. This leads to the same value being measured in subsequent measurements. However, for a particle in a box with infinite potential barriers, measuring momentum does not guarantee an eigenstate of momentum and still has a non-zero uncertainty. This raises the question of what the actual state of the particle is after measurement, and whether repeated measurements would always give the same result.
clacker
Quantum mechanics says measurement of observable always produces result that is one of eigenvalues of that observable. Subsequent measurement yields same value. For a particle in a box with infinite potential barriers if measure momentum doesn't that put system in eigenstate of momentum insuring subsequent same value of momentum. Doesn't this then violate uncertainty since know particle's postion with certainty of width of box. I don't understand how this doesn't violate uncertainty, in any event you could always measure momentum and with the particle in box it seems you can always violate uncertainty.

Physics news on Phys.org
clacker said:
For a particle in a box with infinite potential barriers if measure momentum doesn't that put system in eigenstate of momentum insuring subsequent same value of momentum..
The energy eigenstates are, for example, sine functions. Operating on them with the momentum operator produces cosines, so these are not momentum eigenstates. Also the expectation value of momentum squared yields a non-zero number, and therefore the uncertainty in p is not zero. I guess.

Since momentum eigenstates are of the form [tex]\psi = C e^{i p x/\hbar}[/tex], it would seem that there are no momentum eigenstates that satisfy the boundary conditions - you can only have linear combinations of states of different momenta. Although that does bring up the question of what the state of a particle in a box actually is after you measure its momentum... maybe it's not actually the case that (theoretical infinitely fast) repeated measurements are guaranteed to give the same result? I think I should know this but it's escaping me at the moment :/

1. What is a momentum eigenstate?

A momentum eigenstate is a quantum state in which the momentum of a particle is precisely defined. This means that if the momentum of the particle is measured, it will always have the same value.

2. How does the particle in a box model relate to momentum eigenstates?

The particle in a box model is a simplified quantum mechanical system that can be used to demonstrate the concept of momentum eigenstates. In this model, a particle is confined to a limited space and its momentum is restricted to discrete values.

3. What is the significance of momentum eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Momentum eigenstates are important in quantum mechanics because they are one of the fundamental concepts that describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They help to explain how particles can have definite values for certain properties, such as momentum, while still exhibiting wave-like behavior.

4. How are momentum eigenstates related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Momentum eigenstates play a role in this principle because they represent a precise momentum value, which means that the position of the particle must be uncertain.

5. Can a particle have multiple momentum eigenstates at the same time?

Yes, in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in a superposition of multiple states at the same time. This means that a particle can have a combination of different momentum eigenstates, each with its own probability of being observed. However, when the particle is measured, it will only have one definite momentum value.