Momentum/Kinetic Energy Problem

Homework Statement

A car moving with an initial speed v collides with a second stationary car that is 52.9 percent as massive. After the collision the first car moves in the same direction as before with a speed that is 31.8 percent of the original speed. Calculate the final speed of the second car. Give your answer in units of the initial speed (i.e. as a fraction of v).

Homework Equations

P=mv
Ke=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted this solution using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy. I seem to get different answer with both though. I don't understand why I can't use the conservation of energy law to figure out this problem instead of using the conservation of momentum. Help is much appreciated

Thanks, ClassicRock

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
In a collision, momentum is always conserved; however, kinetic energy is conserved only in elastic collisions. Your calculations suggest the collision isn't elastic.

The collision is elastic. That is actually the second part of the question.

it's not stated that the collision is elastic.So you cannot use conservation of energy in this case.

Welcome to Physics Forums!!

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
My calculations show the collision is nearly elastic but not quite.

In the second part of the question it states that this is an elastic collision. Maybe that's why when I use the conservation of energy my number is within .01 of the conservation of momentum answer.
conservation of momentum gives me 1.29
conservation of energy gives me 1.30

Thank you for the help. Maybe the problem set has the wrong answer