Why is my momentum calculation giving 0.035 kg instead of the expected answer?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Arcthor
Messages
34
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


The problem is stated here (from brilliant.org)
http://i.imgur.com/MkWwnjT.png

Homework Equations



momentum = mass * velocity

The Attempt at a Solution


My attempt at a solution can be found here:
http://i.imgur.com/Zsco86W.jpg

I get the answer 0.035kg, but that is not an option. What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector. Only the eastern component of m2's momentum is equal to the momentum of the piece that went due west.
 
Nathanael said:
Momentum is a vector. Only the eastern component of m2's momentum is equal to the momentum of the piece that went due west.

Oh god this is embarassing, how could I miss that. Haha well thank you :)