Momentum of a Doubled Cannonball with Doubled Velocity

  • Thread starter Thread starter chella
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
chella
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble answering this question. At first I thought it was A, but then I started thinking in multiplying and now I"m not sure...



Momentum is inertia in motion, and it is equal to the product of a body's mass and its velocity. For example, if the speed of a projected cannonball is doubled, then the momentum is doubled. if instead the cannonball's mass is doubled, then the momentum is likewise doubled. Suppose, however, that a cannonball's mass is somehow doubled and its velocity is also doubled. Then its momentum is
a) the same
b) doubled
c) quadrupled
d) none of these


 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to solve this by substituting some numbers if you can't see it. Say m=2 and v =2. What is the momentum? Now double both. How does the new momentum relate to the old momentum?
 
The definition of momentum (represented by P) is P = mv.

Apply this knowledge and you should have little to no problem finding the correct answer.

chella said:
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble answering this question. At first I thought it was A, but then I started thinking in multiplying and now I"m not sure...
Momentum is inertia in motion, and it is equal to the product of a body's mass and its velocity. For example, if the speed of a projected cannonball is doubled, then the momentum is doubled. if instead the cannonball's mass is doubled, then the momentum is likewise doubled. Suppose, however, that a cannonball's mass is somehow doubled and its velocity is also doubled. Then its momentum is
a) the same
b) doubled
c) quadrupled
d) none of these