Momentum Operator Construction

In summary, Schrodinger constructed the momentum operator using the properties of Fourier transform. Specifically, the momentum operator is given by \hat{\mathbf{p}} = -i \hbar \nabla, and this can be derived from the generalization of the Fourier transform for entire rational functions. The use of \hbar in this equation is related to de Broglie's wave theory.
pzona
Quick question about how Schrodinger constructed the momentum operator. I understand that [tex]\widehat{H}[/tex] in the wave equation is the sum of the kinetic and potential operators, using the form H=T+V. The kinetic energy can be expressed by T=p^2/2m, and that's the last part I can follow. Most sources then give the momentum operator as a "substitution" which gives p [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] i[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]. I have absolutely no idea where this comes from (I've yet to take a formal math class on anything beyond basic calculus, maybe this is the problem), could anyone provide some information on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\hat{\mathbf{p}} = -i \hbar \nabla[/tex].
Actually, it comes from the properties of Fourier transform, so
[tex]\overline{F(x,y,z)} = \int F(x,y,z) |\psi(x,y,z)|^2 dxdydz = \int \psi^{*}(x,y,z) F(x,y,z) \psi(x,y,z)dxdydz[/tex]

[tex]\overline{F(p_x,p_y,p_z)} = \int F(p_x,p_y,p_z) |c(p_x,p_y,p_z)|^2 dp_xdp_ydp_z = \int c^{*}(p_x,p_y,p_z) F(p_x,p_y,p_z) c(p_x,p_y,p_z)dp_xdp_ydp_z[/tex]
where [tex]c(p_x,p_y,p_z)[/tex] is the amplitude of de Broglie wave which has momentum [tex]\mathbf{p}(p_x, p_y, p_z)[/tex]
can be generalized in case of entire rational function [tex]F(x,y,z)[/tex] (i.e., for example [tex]F(p_x) = \sum_n a_n p_x^n[/tex]) and above equations becomes:

[tex]\overline{F(x,y,z)} = \int c^{*}(p_x,p_y,p_z) F \left(i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x}, i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial p_y},i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial p_z} \right) c(p_x,p_y,p_z)dp_xdp_ydp_z[/tex].

[tex]\overline{F(p_x,p_y,p_z)} = \int \psi^{*}(x,y,z) F \left(-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x},-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial y},-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \right) \psi(x,y,z)dxdydz[/tex]
Consider [tex]F(p_x, p_y,p_z)=p_x[/tex]. Then,
[tex]\overline{p_x}= \int \psi^{*}(x,y,z) \left( -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) \psi(x,y,z) dxdydz[/tex]
In other words
[tex]\hat{p_x} = -ih \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

Alright, thanks a lot, that makes a little more sense now. I'm probably not at the level of mathematical skill I would need to be at to derive that on my own, but I can follow most of your steps. It's so interesting how hbar seems to keep coming up, even in the Fourier transformation. Thanks a lot, that was very helpful

Hbar comes from de Brogile wave :)

1. What is the momentum operator?

The momentum operator is a mathematical representation of the physical quantity of momentum in quantum mechanics. It is denoted by the symbol p and is defined as the operator that acts on a wavefunction to yield the momentum of a particle.

2. How is the momentum operator constructed?

The momentum operator is constructed using the position operator, which represents the location of a particle in space. It is given by the expression p = -iħ∇, where i is the imaginary unit and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

3. What is the significance of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is one of the fundamental operators in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in describing the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is used to determine the momentum of a particle and is an essential component in the equations of motion for quantum systems.

4. How is the momentum operator used in quantum mechanical calculations?

The momentum operator is used in conjunction with other operators, such as the Hamiltonian operator, to solve the Schrödinger equation and determine the energy states of a quantum system. It is also used to calculate probabilities of particle interactions and to study the behavior of particles in different potentials.

5. Can the momentum operator be applied to any type of particle?

Yes, the momentum operator is a universal concept in quantum mechanics and can be applied to any type of particle, including electrons, protons, and even macroscopic objects. However, its formulation may differ depending on the type of particle and the specific system being studied.