Probability flux integrated over all space is mean momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between probability flux and mean momentum in Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics. The expectation value of momentum is obtained through an integral involving the operator for momentum and a partial integration trick. This leads to the equation (2.192) in the book. The conversation concludes with the speaker expressing gratitude for the explanation and acknowledging that they had missed the integration by parts trick.
euphoricrhino
In Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics, I came across a statement which says probabiliy flux integrated over all space is just the mean momentum (eq 2.192 below). I was wondering if anybody can help me explain how this is obtained.
I can see that ##i\hbar\nabla## is taken as the ##\mathbf{p}## operator, but I don't see how the integration gives the mean of ##\mathbf{p}##.
Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 15.28.15.png

Likes gentzen
Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of the momentum is
$$\langle \vec{p} \rangle = \langle \psi|\hat{\vec{p}}|\psi \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x \psi^*(t,\vec{x}) (-\mathrm{i} \hbar \vec{\nabla}) \psi(t,\vec{x}).$$
Now you can add the same expression with the ##\nabla## put to ##\psi^*## by partial integration and divide by 2:
$$\langle \vec{p} \rangle = \frac{1}{2} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x (-\mathrm{i} \hbar) [\psi^*(t,\vec{x}) \vec{\nabla} \psi(t,\vec{x}) - \psi(t,\vec{x}) \vec{\nabla} \psi^*(t,\vec{x})].$$
Comparing this with Eq. (2.191) of the book you get immediately Eq. (2.192).

Likes Lord Jestocost, gentzen, PeroK and 1 other person
Great, thanks a lot.
I missed the integration by part trick. This is awesome!