Separating kinetic energies of two masses in elastic collision

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Clara Chung
Messages
300
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


13.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


How do I calculate part d?
I know that (m2-m1)v0 = m2v2+m1v1
where v0 = root (2gh), v1 and v2 are the new velocity of the masses
(m2+m1)v02 = m2v22 + m1v12
I also know that v2-v1=2v0
but how do I separate the KE of mass 2?
 
Attachments
  • 13.png
    13.png
    55 KB · Views: 1,282
Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 223719

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


How do I calculate part d?
I know that (m2-m1)v0 = m2v2+m1v1
where v0 = root (2gh), v1 and v2 are the new velocity of the masses
(m2+m1)v02 = m2v22 + m1v12
I also know that v2-v1=2v0
but how do I separate the KE of mass 2?

It's ##m_1## that is the upper ball. Can you solve the equations to find ##v_1##?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Clara Chung
PeroK said:
It's ##m_1## that is the upper ball. Can you solve the equations to find ##v_1##?
I got a very strange answer...
v2-v1=2v0 ...(1)
(m2-m1)v0 = m2v2+m1v1...(2)
After substitution I get -v0=v1...