1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Relative to Surface / Plug-and-Chug

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Stevie stands on a rolling platform designed for moving heavy objects. The platform has mass of 76 kg and is on a flat floor, supported by rolling wheels that can be considered to be frictionless. Stevie's mass is 43 kg. The platform and Stevie are stationary when she begins walking at a constant velocity of +1.2 m/s relative to the platform. (a) What is the platform's velocity relative to the floor? (b) What is Stevie's velocity relative to the floor?

2. Relevant equations

(p)i = (p)f Conservation of Momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

Used Conservation of Momentum, but I am having trouble establishing a reference point.

43x1.2 + 76xV2f = 0 - That's for the the platform and Stevie.

.521x119 = 43xV1f + 76xV2f - That's for the entire system....I think.

As stated above, I think my problem is finding the reference point. I would normally spend more time with this one by myself, but I have a quiz on this fairly soon.

The answers:
    (a) −0.43 m/s
    (b) 0.77 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    Your first equation would give you the correct answer if you considered that the platform has additional mass as a result of someone standing on it.

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    Of course it would.

You're the man BishopUser. Thanks dude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook