Converting momentum in MeV/c to energy units

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter goodphy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Momentum Unit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
goodphy
Messages
212
Reaction score
8
Hello.

I'm reading some accelerator physics paper showing the momentum unit for the accelerated particles as MeV/c.

I'm not interested in the momentum but energy thus I really want to convert this to energy.

How it is done? Simply multiplying c? if so, there must be some reason for justify the action.

Please help me to go further.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Or, the way I like to remember it: ##E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2##.

E, pc and mc2 all have units of energy (MeV or joules or whatever)
 
Oh thanks people!

Thus..since momentum in the paper is, for example, 0.79 MeV/c so pc should be simply the momentum multiplied by c, 0.79 MeV right?