Monochromatic Light Frequency in Glass (5.20 x 10^2 nm, n=1.50)

  • Thread starter Thread starter _Ankoku_
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
_Ankoku_
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Monochromatic light of a wavelength of 5.20 x 10^2 nm enters glass (n=1.50). What is the frequency of light in the glass?

Homework Equations


I am thinking I am supposed to use the formula : wave length = d(sin ( ) )/n
and then v=Frequency(wave length)


The Attempt at a Solution


This is where i got lost...

I attempted to use the formulas but got really confused.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the formulas. What's the frequency outside of the glass? Can the frequency inside of the glass be different? Frequency counts the number of waves passing per second. If the number outside and inside are different, where are the extra waves going?? This may be more of an understanding question than a formula question.