Wavelength of light in a dielectric material

In summary, in a physics lab, light with a wavelength λ0 travels from a laser to a photocell in a time t1. When a slab of glass with a thickness d is placed in the light beam, it takes the light a time of t2 to travel from the laser to the photocell. The speed of light in a vacuum is c. To find the wavelength of the light in the glass, we use the equations λ = λ0/n and n = c/v. By substituting in the values for t1 and t2, we can solve for v/c and then plug that into the equation to find the wavelength in the glass, λ = λ0*d/c(t2-t1
laurieke

Homework Statement

In a physics lab, light with a wavelength λ0 travels in vacuum from a laser to a photocell in a time t1. When a slab of glass with a thickness d is placed in the light beam, with the beam incident along the normal to the parallel faces of the slab, it takes the light a time of t2 to travel from the laser to the photocell (again in vacuum). The speed of light in a vacuum is c.
9. What is the wavelength of the light in the glass? Express your answer in the given constants.

Homework Equations

labda = labda0 / n
n = c/v
v=x/t

The Attempt at a Solution

so i said that v = x/t equals d/(t2-t1)
n = c/v so together with the above equation n = c(t2-t1)/d
i filled this in at the first equation labda/ labda0 / n and with this i got to the answer:
labda = labda0*d/c(t2-t1)
the answer on the other hand is : labda0*d/c(t2-t1)+d , i am very close but i can not figure out where the +d comes from

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
laurieke said:
so i said that v = x/t equals d/(t2-t1)

Here you are wrong. Draw everything to visualize, and instead of starting with velocity. Can you first find what is ##\Delta t=t_{2}-t_{1}##?

i do not understand what you mean, i only have the information in the question so dt = t2 -t1. I do not have numbers

laurieke said:
i do not understand what you mean, i only have the information in the question so dt = t2 -t1. I do not have numbers

I know. I will explain more.

If the total distance from the laser to the photocell is ##L##. This distance is fixed when you put the glass slab in the middle, right? This means, in case (1) when there is no slab and in case (2) when there is a slab, the total distance is ##L##.

But, in case (1) the laser passes the whole distance ##L##, with speed ##c## from the beginning to the end. While in case (2), it passes ##L-d## with speed ##c## "In vacuum"... then passes ##d## with speed ##v## "In the slab".

Now, using these information write down ##\Delta t=t_{2}-t_{1}##

so it passes L-d with speed c first so t1 is (L-d)/c and after this it passed d with speed v so t2 is d/v?

laurieke said:
so it passes L-d with speed c first so t1 is (L-d)/c and after this it passed d with speed v so t2 is d/v?

No.

##t_{1}## is the time it takes light to travel ##L## distance, from the laser to the photocell without the presence of glass.
##t_{2}## is the time it take light to travel ##L## distance from the laser to the photocell with the presence of glass along the way.

For ##t_{1}##, light travel all the way with speed ##c##. Thus, ##t_{1}=\frac{distance}{speed}=\frac{L}{c}##.

For ##t_{2}##, light travel distance ##L-d## with speed ##c## and distance ##d## with speed ##v##. Thus, ##t_{1}=\frac{distance}{speed}=\frac{L-d}{c}+\frac{d}{v}##

Likes Delta2
Oops, had to delete a wrong answer.

There is a typo in post 6: should be t2 instead of t1 for last expression. But otherwise OK.
So how about using those equations for t1 and t2 to solve for v/c?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Phylosopher said:
##t_{1}=\frac{distance}{speed}=\frac{L-d}{c}+\frac{d}{v}##

Correction: ##t_{2}=\frac{distance}{speed}=\frac{L-d}{c}+\frac{d}{v}##

Thanks Mr. rude man

Likes Delta2
thank you so much for your help!

Likes Delta2

1. What is the definition of wavelength of light in a dielectric material?

The wavelength of light in a dielectric material is the distance between two consecutive points in a wave where the wave pattern repeats itself. It is typically measured in nanometers (nm) and is dependent on the properties of the material, such as its refractive index.

2. How does the wavelength of light change in a dielectric material?

The wavelength of light changes in a dielectric material due to the material's refractive index, which is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when passing through the material. As the speed of light decreases, the wavelength also decreases, resulting in a shorter wavelength in the material compared to in vacuum.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a dielectric material?

In a dielectric material, the relationship between wavelength and frequency is inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases, and vice versa. This is known as the wave speed equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

4. How does the wavelength of light affect the behavior of light in a dielectric material?

The wavelength of light affects the behavior of light in a dielectric material in various ways. For example, a shorter wavelength allows for greater resolution in imaging techniques, while a longer wavelength may penetrate deeper into the material. Additionally, the wavelength also plays a role in determining the material's transparency and reflectivity.

5. Can the wavelength of light be manipulated in a dielectric material?

Yes, the wavelength of light can be manipulated in a dielectric material through various methods, such as changing the material's refractive index, using different wavelengths of light, or applying external electric or magnetic fields. This is the basis for technologies such as optical lenses, fiber optics, and liquid crystal displays.