1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monopole Moment of a sphere of charge

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm really bad at these type of problems. I'm supposed to find the monopole moment of this continuous charge distribution. its charge is

[tex]\sigma = const*cos(\theta) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]p = \int r'\rho(r')d\tau[/tex]
    which then since we are doing a surface charge should be
    [tex]p = \int r' \sigma da[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I want to do the double integral of something to find the charge distribution so I can find the monopole moment. I'm thinking something like
    [tex]p = \int_{0}^{2 \pi}\int_{0}^{2 \pi} r' * c \cdot cos(\theta) sin( \theta) r^2 d\phi d\theta[/tex]
    and I'm thinking that r' is just r so then it would be

[tex]p = \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi \int_0^{\pi} r'^3cose(\theta)sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2
    The obvious problem that then comes up is that then appears is that I get a 0 term from the second integral that makes my whole monopole moment zero. Is this correct?
  4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    if you are supposed to calculate the monopole moment then you integrate the charge density only. the formulas you have above are those for a dipole moment. monopole moment is just total charge
  5. Feb 15, 2008 #4

The monopole moment is zero. Some of your formulas are wrong, as Capt. pointed out.
  6. Feb 15, 2008 #5
    Ok, thanks! I think I see what I did wrong!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?