Monopole Moment of a sphere of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
lampshade
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm really bad at these type of problems. I'm supposed to find the monopole moment of this continuous charge distribution. its charge is

[tex]\sigma = const*cos(\theta)[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]p = \int r'\rho(r')d\tau[/tex]
which then since we are doing a surface charge should be
[tex]p = \int r' \sigma da[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I want to do the double integral of something to find the charge distribution so I can find the monopole moment. I'm thinking something like
[tex]p = \int_{0}^{2 \pi}\int_{0}^{2 \pi} r' * c \cdot cos(\theta) sin( \theta) r^2 d\phi d\theta[/tex]
and I'm thinking that r' is just r so then it would be

[tex]p = \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi \int_0^{\pi} r'^3cose(\theta)sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious problem that then comes up is that then appears is that I get a 0 term from the second integral that makes my whole monopole moment zero. Is this correct?
 
if you are supposed to calculate the monopole moment then you integrate the charge density only. the formulas you have above are those for a dipole moment. monopole moment is just total charge
 
The monopole moment is zero. Some of your formulas are wrong, as Capt. pointed out.