Monotonically increasing function

In summary, the conversation discusses a function f involving constants B and C and a monotonically decreasing function y of x. According to the model, f is a monotonically increasing function of x, as confirmed by numerical experiments and logical arguments. However, a rigorous proof is needed and the conditions under which f may not be unconditionally monotonically increasing are also mentioned. The summary suggests finding necessary conditions for f' \geq 0 by differentiating the function with respect to x.
JulieK
I have the following function

[itex]f=\frac{B}{y^{3}}+\frac{C}{y^{4}}\mid\frac{dy}{dx}\mid[/itex]

where [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] are constants and where [itex]y[/itex] is a monotonically
decreasing function of [itex]x[/itex] ([itex]\mid\frac{dy}{dx}\mid[/itex] stands for absolute value of derivative). According to my model, all
signs indicate that [itex]f[/itex] is a monotonically increasing function of
[itex]x[/itex]. Numerical experiments and logical arguments confirm this but
I need a rigorous proof of this. If [itex]f[/itex] is not unconditionally monotonically
increasing function of [itex]x[/itex] I wish to know under what conditions it
will be monotonically increasing function of [itex]x[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
JulieK said:
I have the following function

[itex]f=\frac{B}{y^{3}}+\frac{C}{y^{4}}\mid\frac{dy}{dx}\mid[/itex]

where [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] are constants and where [itex]y[/itex] is a monotonically
decreasing function of [itex]x[/itex] ([itex]\mid\frac{dy}{dx}\mid[/itex] stands for absolute value of derivative). According to my model, all
signs indicate that [itex]f[/itex] is a monotonically increasing function of
[itex]x[/itex]. Numerical experiments and logical arguments confirm this but
I need a rigorous proof of this. If [itex]f[/itex] is not unconditionally monotonically
increasing function of [itex]x[/itex] I wish to know under what conditions it
will be monotonically increasing function of [itex]x[/itex].

If [itex]y' \leq 0[/itex] then [itex]|y'| = -y'[/itex], so you have
[tex]
f = By^{-3} - Cy^{-4}y'.
[/tex]
Now differentiate, and find conditions necessary for [itex]f' \geq 0[/itex].

What is a monotonically increasing function?

A monotonically increasing function is a mathematical function that always increases or stays the same as its input values increase. This means that as the input values increase, the output values also increase or remain constant.

How can I identify a monotonically increasing function?

To identify a monotonically increasing function, you can plot the function on a graph and see if it always moves in an upward direction or remains flat as the input values increase. Another way is to check if the function has a positive slope, meaning that the function is increasing as the input values increase.

What is the difference between a monotonically increasing function and a strictly increasing function?

A monotonically increasing function can have both increasing and constant portions, while a strictly increasing function only has increasing portions. This means that a strictly increasing function cannot have any flat areas on its graph.

Can a monotonically increasing function have a negative slope?

No, a monotonically increasing function cannot have a negative slope. This is because a negative slope would mean that the function is decreasing as the input values increase, which goes against the definition of a monotonically increasing function.

What are some real-life examples of monotonically increasing functions?

Some real-life examples of monotonically increasing functions include population growth over time, the amount of money in a savings account with compounded interest, and the height of a plant as it grows.