Moon Earth and Satellite gravitation

In summary, a 1030kg spacecraft, the earth, and the moon are positioned at the vertices of an equilateral triangle with sides of 3.84×10^5km in length. The net gravitational force exerted on the spacecraft by the earth and moon can be found using the equation GMm/r^2=Fg, with the given values of r, Me, Mm, and G. By placing the satellite at the origin and the other two bodies at the other vertices, the net force can be calculated by considering the individual components of each force. The correct answer is 2.8N, which was achieved by correctly squaring the sin and cos values in the calculation.
Frozen Light

Homework Statement

At a certain instant, the earth, the moon, and a stationary 1030kg spacecraft lie at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are 3.84×10^5km in length.

Find the magnitude of the net gravitational force exerted on the spacecraft by the Earth and moon.

Homework Equations

GMm/r^2 = Fg

r = 3.84*10^5 km
Me = 5.98*10^24 kg
Mm = 7.35*10^22 kg
G = 6.67*10^-11
Ms = 1030kg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/p8OBdfd
I think it's probably a simple error somewhere but I've gotten about 3-4 different answers all which are not F=2.8N - I've tried calculating it at different stages in the algebra - are the angles somehow not based off 60*? I don't know what it's missing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frozen Light said:

Homework Statement

At a certain instant, the earth, the moon, and a stationary 1030kg spacecraft lie at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are 3.84×105km in length.
Is there a question to go along with this statement?

OH, sorry.

Find the magnitude of the net gravitational force exerted on the spacecraft by the Earth and moon. - edited it it in the first post too

edit: also that it's not 3.84×105km - it's 3.84 x 10^5km

edit: in the image I accidentally dropped the squares around [[ROOT][Cos60(Me - Mm)^2 + Sin60(Me+Mm)^2] but added them in my calculation

Last edited:
You're probably making your life more difficult than you have to by placing the satellite at the top of the triangle and making your coordinate system pass through it. Instead, try placing the satellite at the origin and the other two bodies at the other vertexes like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=65916&stc=1&d=1390412580.gif

This way only one of the forces (FSM) will have two components.

I'd expect the net force magnitude to be just a few Newtons.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,898
The answer is 2.8N - I'm trying to match my answer to that one.
But I don't really understand what you mean.

Do you mean just line one of the sides with an axis?

(Triangle)
Me
M mS

So that there is no Xdir force from Me?

The idea is to choose the axes so that one of the forces lies entirely along an axis so it has only one component (the other being zero). Then you only need concern yourself with the individual components of the other force.

Looking at your solution, it appears that you aren't squaring the sin and cos values when you take the sum of squares of the components.

Yes, that was it. Thank you.

I'm not sure how I didn't see that after spending that much time looking at it haha.

Frozen Light said:
Yes, that was it. Thank you.

I'm not sure how I didn't see that after spending that much time looking at it haha.

The most insidious errors are the ones that hidden in plain sight :smile: It often just takes a fresh pair of eyes to spot them.

1. What is the gravitational force between the Moon and Earth?

The gravitational force between the Moon and Earth is approximately 1.98 x 10^20 Newtons. This force is responsible for keeping the Moon in orbit around the Earth.

2. How does the Moon's gravity affect tides on Earth?

The Moon's gravity causes tides on Earth due to the gravitational pull it exerts on the Earth's oceans. This pull creates a bulge of water on the side of the Earth facing the Moon, and a second bulge on the opposite side. This is what causes the high and low tides we experience.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight on the Moon?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity pulling on an object. On the Moon, the force of gravity is about one-sixth of that on Earth, so an object that weighs 100 pounds on Earth would only weigh 16.6 pounds on the Moon. However, its mass would remain the same.

4. How does the Moon's gravity affect the Earth's rotation?

The Moon's gravity slows down the Earth's rotation by exerting a torque on the Earth's bulging equator. Over time, this has caused the Earth's rotation to slow down and the length of a day to increase.

5. How does the Moon's gravity affect spacecraft and satellites?

The Moon's gravity can be both helpful and challenging for spacecraft and satellites. The Moon's gravity can be used to help spacecraft gain speed and enter orbit, but it can also interfere with their trajectories and cause them to crash if not accounted for properly. Satellites in orbit around the Moon also experience a slightly different gravitational pull depending on their location, which must be taken into consideration for proper operation.