1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work required to move a mass away from two others

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    Hi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a certain instant, the earth, the moon, and a stationary 1490kg spacecraft lie at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are 3.84×10^5km in length. What is the minimum amount of work that you would have to do to move the spacecraft to a point far from the earth and moon? You can ignore any gravitational effects due to the other planets or the sun.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]U = -G \frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{r}[/itex]

[itex]W_{grav} = - U[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused by this question. I haven't done a question like this involving three masses before. I don't really know where to get started but I have a thought;

Do I need to find the center of mass of the Earth and the Moon, and treat that as a single mass for which i'm moving the satellite from?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, well, it's a given that they are at 3.84 x 105 km away. All you need to look up is their mass.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    Is it the center of mass of all three that I need to find, or the center of mass of the earth and the moon?

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check with your relevant equation. No common center of mass there. You can simply add potential caused by earth to that caused by moon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted