1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More observed Beta sheets than Alpha helices as temperature increases

1. Feb 15, 2013 #1
    From an experimental study I've found that alpha helices are formed more often than beta sheets when the temperature is low, but when the temperature increases the beta sheets becomes more common. I'm trying to figure out why.

As temperature increases, the outer hydrogen bonds of a structure will start to break, which will increase the hydrophobic effect, but how does that make beta sheets more common? Or is that not relevant in deciding which structure is most likely to form?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: More observed Beta sheets than Alpha helices as temperature increa

I doubt I could be the one to answer this but here is just no context provoded for anyone to answer except by guessing what you are talking about. Experimental study of exactly what by what methods?

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    Re: More observed Beta sheets than Alpha helices as temperature increa

I don't know. The goal of the task is to just find some reason as to why beta sheets are more common at higher temperatures. There is very little information given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook