Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Valuable: Military or Police

1. Military

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Police Force

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Jan 24, 2006 #1
    On which do you place more value? Would you rather have a better military or Police Force? I realize this value changes in the real world, but I don't think it's a worthless or unanswerable question. Feel free to post reasons, or dissect/flesh out the question further.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2006 #2
    I would rather have a good police force since my country faces no real military threat. I also think having a big military in this day and age isnt of much use for a defensive country.

A few nuclear weapons as a deterant will prevent just about any invasion and the police force should be responsible for preventing terrorist threats.

4. Jan 24, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Both have drastically different purposes, its way too hard to make any real judgements on such a thing. That's like asking what's more important, education or physical activity.

5. Jan 24, 2006 #4
    I don't think that is the most fitting analogy. Obviously, though, you can make judgements on this, look at the first response. I thought about putting a third option for "both," but I think that's too obvious and doesn't take us into meaningful discussion. I did make the disclaimer on that point so we wouldn't get bogged down.

6. Jan 24, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well I believe the first post didn't take into account that police forces are in no way capable of preventing terrorism, only doing local level reactionary measures in most situations. A good military and it's agencies are more capable of dealing with situations outside borders and keeping a larger "eye" out on things. Both really have their places in society.

I suppose if one were not to think too much into it, a police force would have more value since the nature of police forces today compared to military forces is more direct towards the public. We see the police everyday and they help us with real world problems. When someone robs your house, you don't (although it'd be pretty sweet!) call in the Marines.

haha that woudl be sweet.

"911 emergency" "yes, someone just robbed my house!" "don't worry sir, the Marines are on their way!!"

7. Jan 24, 2006 #6
    What would the Marines do? The crook's already in the next town. I'd rather have the CIA track him down (because they can!).

8. Jan 24, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I don't know! But a tank coming down my street everytime i call 911 sounds pretty sweet!

9. Jan 24, 2006 #8
    This is not a very good poll, sorry. What do I like more, my left arm or my right arm? (You can only choose one).......yeah....O.K. :uhh:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  10. Jan 24, 2006 #9
    Duh, left arm. It's 2% stronger.

11. Jan 24, 2006 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I agree that this is a poll asking about two pretty unrelated things. And the fact of the matter is, a strong, safe, secure country requires both.

12. Jan 24, 2006 #11
    I know why its stronger, wink wink nod nod arooga arooga. Hah, only 2%, how sad!

13. Jan 24, 2006 #12
    Alrighty, nevermind then. Feel free to lock/delete thread.

14. Jan 24, 2006 #13

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Military can act as police, but police cannot act as military. :wink:

It's like asking if a car is better than a house. Of course is it. You can live in a car, but you can't drive a house.

15. Jan 25, 2006 #14
    What about mobile homes, houseboats, airplane houses?

16. Jan 25, 2006 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Airplane house?

17. Jan 25, 2006 #16
    Yeah, some people live in their airplane, like they own a 737.

18. Jan 25, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah what about mobile homes!

19. Jan 25, 2006 #18
    Cant you read?

20. Jan 25, 2006 #19
    But preventing terrorism imo doesnt require any offensive military capability. Just inteligence gathering and good border security. So a bloated military budget doesnt seem justified in my eyes, for my country that is. Im not comparing the states to sweden in anyway and your policies over there must be very different offcourse.

parachute troppers cracking down on the alley grandma robbers:tongue:

Busting up the local meth lab with tanks and rpg's :bugeye:

21. Jan 25, 2006 #20

ShawnD

Science Advisor

You don't need an rpg to blow up a meth lab. People seem to be blowing them up accidentally :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?