1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Morris Kline's book good for multivariable calculus?

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

I have a question about the book "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline. I was wondering if it includes a sufficient coverage of multivariable calculus as well as single variable? I am about to take a course in calculus of several variables and I am a bit curious about this interesting book.

Thank you in beforehand for any answers!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

While I can't comment on the book much, I thought you might like to know about he website

http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com

Where there's a whole collection of short videos on calculus 1,2,3 which includes Multivariable with many good examples.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    Not that great for calculus 3. I recommend thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd edition. You would to buy part 1 and 2 because if I recall correctly:

Parametric, spherical coordinates, and vector differentiation is done at the end of part 1. It is a very good book, it would be a shame not to have the complete set.

I would also use another generic modern calculus book for problem sets.

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the answer and the book suggestion. So Thomas' book doesn't contain both single variable and multivariable calculus in the earlier editions (it seems to do in later editions)? Do you perhaps have the table of contents for the 3rd edition (can't seem to find it)?

6. Feb 22, 2015 #5
    Great suggestion! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted