Morris Kline's book good for multivariable calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline and whether it covers both single variable and multivariable calculus. The speaker recommends using Thomas Calculus with Analytic Geometry 3rd edition, which may require buying two parts for complete coverage. They also suggest using another modern calculus book for problem sets. The conversation ends with a suggestion for a website with videos on calculus.
Dowland
Hi guys,

I have a question about the book "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline. I was wondering if it includes a sufficient coverage of multivariable calculus as well as single variable? I am about to take a course in calculus of several variables and I am a bit curious about this interesting book.

Thank you in beforehand for any answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
While I can't comment on the book much, I thought you might like to know about he website

http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com

Where there's a whole collection of short videos on calculus 1,2,3 which includes Multivariable with many good examples.

Not that great for calculus 3. I recommend thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd edition. You would to buy part 1 and 2 because if I recall correctly:

Parametric, spherical coordinates, and vector differentiation is done at the end of part 1. It is a very good book, it would be a shame not to have the complete set.

I would also use another generic modern calculus book for problem sets.

MidgetDwarf said:
Not that great for calculus 3. I recommend thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd edition. You would to buy part 1 and 2 because if I recall correctly:

Parametric, spherical coordinates, and vector differentiation is done at the end of part 1. It is a very good book, it would be a shame not to have the complete set.

I would also use another generic modern calculus book for problem sets.
Thanks for the answer and the book suggestion. So Thomas' book doesn't contain both single variable and multivariable calculus in the earlier editions (it seems to do in later editions)? Do you perhaps have the table of contents for the 3rd edition (can't seem to find it)?

jedishrfu said:
While I can't comment on the book much, I thought you might like to know about he website

http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com

Where there's a whole collection of short videos on calculus 1,2,3 which includes Multivariable with many good examples.
Great suggestion! Thank you!

1. What is Morris Kline's book about multivariable calculus?

Morris Kline's book, "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach," is a comprehensive guide to the principles and applications of multivariable calculus. It covers topics such as vector analysis, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus, with a focus on using intuitive and physical explanations to help students understand the concepts.

2. Is Morris Kline's book suitable for beginners in multivariable calculus?

Yes, Morris Kline's book is suitable for beginners in multivariable calculus. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for students with little to no prior knowledge of the subject. The book also includes many examples and exercises to help students practice and reinforce their understanding of the material.

3. Does Morris Kline's book cover real-world applications of multivariable calculus?

Yes, Morris Kline's book covers many real-world applications of multivariable calculus, such as optimization problems, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. The author uses these applications to demonstrate the relevance and usefulness of the concepts being taught, making the material more engaging and practical for students.

4. Is Morris Kline's book better than other textbooks on multivariable calculus?

This is a subjective question and depends on individual preferences. However, many students and educators have praised Morris Kline's book for its clear explanations, comprehensive coverage, and emphasis on intuitive understanding. It is also a highly recommended text in many universities and colleges.

5. Are there any additional resources that complement Morris Kline's book for multivariable calculus?

Yes, there are many additional resources that students can use to supplement their learning from Morris Kline's book. These include online tutorials, practice problems and solutions, video lectures, and study guides. Students can also consult their professors or teaching assistants for additional resources and support.