1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most popular greek university in physics

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    hi everyone

i would like to answer me these questions if you know: do the department of physics of greek universities have a good reputation abroad? which has the best reputation?from which university come the most graduate greek students? i care only about physics departments.

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2013 #2
  4. Aug 26, 2013 #3
    Hi aristotelis2.

I think that the Physics Department of the University of Crete at Heraklion is the best choice right now. At least that what I would choose if I was about to study Physics.

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4
    ok thanks guys.could you tell me what are your criteria?the qs list and the Arwu list both have university of athens in the highest place in physics.is it true?does it have agood reputation abroad?

6. Aug 29, 2013 #5
    Hi aristotelis2.

Both University of Crete and the University of Athens are good. Those lists you mentioned have and overall score for the universities and in some cases a sub-score for each department of the university. Maybe (I don't know I haven't checked the lists) the physics department in the University of Crete has a better score than that of Athens. University of Athens, like NTUA, have their ways of climbing up the ladder of reputation but that doesn't mean that they're better than others...
    In any case I am more fond of the University of Crete than the University of Athens. I think it's better from many aspects. For example, take a look at the university press of the university of Crete. Those books are exceptional unlike the ones from Athens...
    Now, if you already live in Athens, stay in Athens :P If you don't live in Athens or in Heraklion then I think that Heraklion is cheaper than Athens which is also an important factor I think...

7. Aug 29, 2013 #6
    thanks a lot Aero_UoP.I am just a bit confused.these lists have university of athens in the heighest position from all the greek universities in the field of physics.but a lot of people say that you a lot of people say that university of crete is the best. Ι really dont know....

8. Aug 29, 2013 #7
    I don't really know how these are compiled, aristotelis, but it has to do with the number of publications of each department, with how often these publications are cited, with the budget, with the student to staff ratio, with the evaluation of the professors and the department in general and many other criteria. I do not really believe though that they are THAT representative in this occasion for many reasons...
    I place myself among those who believe that UoC is better. However, whether it is or not, it doesn't really make any huge difference. Now ask yourself where you would like to be, in Athens or in Heraklion?

9. Aug 29, 2013 #8
    ok,you were really helpful.I live in athens so I am going to attend university of athens.that means more money for books,learning materials etc.I hope there is not that big difference between the two universities.

10. Aug 29, 2013 #9
    1. Don't be miserable. You won't make progress if you are.
    2. Both are good universities. The differences are only slight.
    3. You will be given the choice to select which books the university will give you FOR FREE. If you don't know which books to choose, ASK HERE. Not other undergraduates of later semesters.
    4. You can never rest that in the university you will be taught everything and that you will learn everything. You have to study extra for yourself... for no apparent reason. Just because ;) That means of course that if you really like what you're doing and want to learn more and be good at it, you'll have to invest (not spend) some money on extra books.... again, ASK HERE for details...
    5. Don't get involved with any political party in the university.

That's all I have to say and you'd better keep it in mind ;)

11. Aug 29, 2013 #10
    thanks for the advise.I am not miserable(how did you come up with it:)?)I know that university cant teach me everything.thats why I do want to go to athens so I can invest more money in books,because i really love physics and maths.and no I dont want to take part in any political party(I dont even understand why there are political parties in the greek universities).where are you from(if this is a very personal question,dont answer and I am sorry:)).thanks again for all the advise.

12. Aug 29, 2013 #11
    Excuse me for saying that about misery, don't take it personally or wrong ;) I know how things are and that's why I say that we should be optimistic. Now I understood though why you said "more money for books before"... I'm from Athens, no porb asking... If want to ask anything further about how the university works, pm me, I'd be glad to help you out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook