Most used mathematics for engineers?

• Thread starter 5ymmetrica1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the most commonly used mathematics in engineering includes trigonometry, algebra, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and matrices. Engineers also use formulas derived from series expansions, such as the Pythagorean theorem, to solve practical problems. Other specialized areas of mathematics, such as Galois fields for error-correcting codes or statistics for image processing, may also be used depending on the specific field of engineering. It is important for engineers to have a strong foundation in math as it is constantly used in their jobs and can vary depending on their specific role.
5ymmetrica1
I'm thinking of applying for a degree in engineering at university next year and was wondering, what is the most commonly used mathematics that you engineers everyday in your jobs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Trig for me.

Trig, Logarithms and some complex numbers.

Last edited:
Algebra, trigonometry, calculus/differential equations, in that order. Healthy dose of linear algebra as well.

Matrices, for finding currents and voltages in really complex circuits.

Simple arithmetic is the most common for me.

Can't get the job done without an excellent intuitive understanding of Algeria and calculus.

Man, I know almost nothing about Algeria. I've never even been there! I'm screwed! ;-)

Well the most common formula I have ever come across in engineering is

[tex]\frac{{{\rm{something}}\;{\rm{squared}}}}{{{\rm{twice}}\;{\rm{something}}\;{\rm{else}}}}[/tex]

This comes from expanding all sorts of more complicated formula in a series and taking the first term.

For example the deviation of a circular curve from a straight line is

[tex]\frac{{{\rm{length}}\;{\rm{along}}\;{\rm{tangent}}\;{\rm{squared}}}}{{{\rm{twice}}\;{\rm{radius}}}}[/tex]

There are many others

So I've got to say study series and how to sum them.

Studiot said:
Well the most common formula I have ever come across in engineering is

[tex]\frac{{{\rm{something}}\;{\rm{squared}}}}{{{\rm{twice}}\;{\rm{something}}\;{\rm{else}}}}[/tex]

This comes from expanding all sorts of more complicated formula in a series and taking the first term.

For example the deviation of a circular curve from a straight line is

[tex]\frac{{{\rm{length}}\;{\rm{along}}\;{\rm{tangent}}\;{\rm{squared}}}}{{{\rm{twice}}\;{\rm{radius}}}}[/tex]

There are many others

So I've got to say study series and how to sum them.

thats interesting to know, thanks for sharing

seems trig is the common answer, which is what I would have thought would be most useful for engineers.
any more specific formulas that you engineers use everyday?

Here is another example of my formula which demonstrates engineering thinking.

Engineering drawings give vertical and horizontal distances.
Slope distances are rarely offered.

If you are measuring between two points with a tape measure your tape will indicate the difference in slope length (S). This is different from the horizontal length L, due to the difference in vertical height H.

Now H, L and S are connected by pythagoras theorem since they form a right angled triangle

[tex]{S^2} = {L^2} + {H^2}[/tex]

A bit of rearrangement and application of the binomial theorem gives, as a series

[tex]\frac{L}{S} = \sqrt {1 - \frac{{{H^2}}}{{{S^2}}}} = 1 - \frac{{{H^2}}}{{2{S^2}}} - \frac{{{H^4}}}{{8{S^4}}}[/tex]

If we only take the first two terms of the series we obtain

[tex]S - L \approx \frac{{{H^2}}}{{2{S^2}}}[/tex]

Which is the correction to be subtracted from the distance measured on the tape to obtain the correct horizontal distance.

Last edited:
Yeah Studiot, I was surprised to see that pattern when doing a lot of dimensional analysis. Lift coefficient for example.

thanks for the example studiot! I've actually just finished high school so I've just done 2 years of similar problems to your example. Its cool to see that what I've already studied is still used commonly in engineering (which I hope to study in the near future)

Good luck and go well in your future studies.

Remember, members may change but PF will be here for you.

Maths... That's very variable! Most time it's nothing more than polynoms and linear algebra, plus simple summing.

But if you're an electrical engineer and make error-correcting codes, it's Galois fields all the day. Not complicated, but very different from the rest.

If you make antennas or optics or radiocomms it's interferences and Fourier transform and convolutions. Plus Laplace transform. Complex numbers of course, why mention it.

And recently I had to train again calculus, differential equations and such things to compute a surface temperature when receiving a constant power (not a constant temperature) beginning at t=0 (in this case it was for a brake). It took me one full week for a single equation, but my company badly needed it.

If you make images with X-rays and the like, you need statistics. More often than that in fact.

You see? It's varied, it's a lot, and it's a big effort for a short use. But on the other hand, you can't predict what you will need, and far less what your job will be in 20 years, as most engineers change their activity several times in a carreer. So I would say: learn as much as you can when you have this opportunity! Learning later is harder and more expensive.

Enthalpy has good advice.

You can see at a glance that the result of 'studiot' is not correct. On the left side the dimension is 'meter', while on the right side the dimension is 'none'. The correct formula is:
S - L ≈ H*H/(2*S) or, preferable, S - L ≈ H*H/(2*L).

Yes well spotted Frank, thank you for noting the superfluous squaring of the term on the bottom.

I do have trouble trying to get the formula right and the latex right at the same time and sometimes they get muddled up.

:blushing:

What is the most commonly used mathematics for engineers?

The most commonly used mathematics for engineers is calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

Why are these mathematical concepts important for engineers?

These mathematical concepts are important for engineers because they provide the necessary tools for analyzing and solving complex engineering problems.

What are some real-world applications of these mathematical concepts in engineering?

Calculus is used for analyzing the rates of change and optimization of systems. Linear algebra is used for solving systems of equations and performing transformations in 3D space. Differential equations are used for modeling and analyzing dynamic systems.

Is it necessary for engineers to have a strong understanding of these mathematical concepts?

Yes, it is essential for engineers to have a strong understanding of these mathematical concepts as they are the foundation for many engineering principles and techniques.

Are there any other mathematical concepts that are commonly used by engineers?

Yes, there are other mathematical concepts that are commonly used by engineers, such as statistics, probability, and numerical analysis. These concepts are often used in data analysis, risk assessment, and computer simulations.