Most useful Computer languages to learn for Astronomy

In summary, the most commonly used computer languages in Astronomy are Python, IDL, Fortran, C++, and Java. Python is considered useful due to its large community, specialized libraries, and simple syntax. Fortran is particularly useful for high-performance tasks, while the choice of language in Astronomy depends on the specific tasks and projects. Having knowledge of multiple languages can be beneficial in Astronomy for a wider range of data analysis techniques and collaboration with colleagues.
majormuss
Hi all,
I am going to apply for graduate school next fall but I am not sure what computer language is most frequently used in astronomy/cosmology graduate programs. Any ideas?
Also, in the mean-time I want to work and earn some money before I apply next year. What jobs experiences will make me a more desirable potential graduate student?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more useful to learn programming than to learn one particular language.

1. What are the most commonly used computer languages in Astronomy?

The most commonly used computer languages in Astronomy are Python, IDL, Fortran, C++, and Java.

2. Why is Python considered a useful language for Astronomy?

Python is considered a useful language for Astronomy because it has a large and active community, a wide range of libraries and packages specifically designed for astronomical data analysis, and a simple syntax that makes it easy to learn and use.

3. Are there any specific tasks in Astronomy for which Fortran is particularly useful?

Fortran is particularly useful for tasks that require high-performance computing, such as numerical simulations, data analysis, and modeling of physical processes in Astronomy.

4. Do I need to learn all of these languages to work in Astronomy?

No, it is not necessary to learn all of these languages to work in Astronomy. The choice of language depends on the specific tasks and projects you will be working on, so it is important to understand the requirements for your particular field of research.

5. Is it beneficial to have knowledge of multiple computer languages in Astronomy?

Yes, having knowledge of multiple computer languages can be beneficial in Astronomy as it allows for a wider range of data analysis techniques and the ability to work on different projects that may require different languages. It also allows for better collaboration with colleagues who may use different languages.