Most valuable trait for a scientist or engineer?

Main Question or Discussion Point

If you had to pick a character trait that was most important for you in your scientific or engineering career, what would it be?

For me, it would be humility, which includes the willingness to accept that I don't know stuff, willingness to learn new stuff and the readiness to admit if I made a mistake.

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Perserverance
perseverance

Last edited:
berkeman
Mentor
Curiosity (don't worry about the cat)...

I don't know which I would think is most important but perserverance and curiosity are good traits, I think.
I would add "commitment to the scientific method", if that can be considered a trait :smile:.

How about "comfort" using mathematics?
I mean simple algebra and trigonometry, not the math-major group theory and isomorphisms on n-dimensional manifold blah blah blah....

When I was in grade school we had "word problems" (such as, if a man can dig a 20-yard trench in 6 hours and a boy can dig 12 yards in 8 hours, how long would it take 3 men and 5 boys to dig a quarter mile..."). If you hate those kinds of problems (and lots of kids did hate them), I think you won't enjoy science and engineering.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Imagination.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

― Albert Einstein