Most valuable trait for a scientist or engineer?

In summary, when discussing the most important character trait for a successful scientific or engineering career, the conversation highlights several key qualities. These include humility, perseverance, curiosity, commitment to the scientific method, comfort with mathematics, imagination, honesty, and working well with others. However, the most commonly mentioned traits are curiosity, creativity, and the enjoyment of problem-solving, as well as happiness, passion for one's work, and belief in the value of one's contributions.
neanderthalphysics
If you had to pick a character trait that was most important for you in your scientific or engineering career, what would it be?

For me, it would be humility, which includes the willingness to accept that I don't know stuff, willingness to learn new stuff and the readiness to admit if I made a mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perserverance
perseverance

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes TonyStewartEE75, hutchphd, BillTre and 1 other person
Curiosity (don't worry about the cat)...

Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre and Klystron
I don't know which I would think is most important but perserverance and curiosity are good traits, I think.
I would add "commitment to the scientific method", if that can be considered a trait :smile:.

Likes BillTre
How about "comfort" using mathematics?
I mean simple algebra and trigonometry, not the math-major group theory and isomorphisms on n-dimensional manifold blah blah blah...

When I was in grade school we had "word problems" (such as, if a man can dig a 20-yard trench in 6 hours and a boy can dig 12 yards in 8 hours, how long would it take 3 men and 5 boys to dig a quarter mile..."). If you hate those kinds of problems (and lots of kids did hate them), I think you won't enjoy science and engineering.

Likes hutchphd and BillTre
Imagination.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

― Albert Einstein

Likes BillTre, berkeman and neanderthalphysics
Honesty

Likes pinball1970, gmax137, DennisN and 2 others
I vote for:
Curiousity, Creativity, and the enjoyment of combining them.

Also, getting satisfaction out of solving a problem helps a lot.

Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, DennisN and 1 other person
Working well with others. No one does this stuff alone.
OTOH, this also applies to Doctors, Plumbers, Chefs, Teachers, Pilots, Politicians, Accountants, etc.
So maybe this one doesn't count here, even though it IS the most important thing.

Likes pinball1970, DennisN and BillTre
Happiness, liking what you do, or believing in the value/impact of your work.

Likes DennisN and BillTre

What is the most valuable trait for a scientist or engineer?

The most valuable trait for a scientist or engineer is critical thinking. This involves the ability to analyze and evaluate information, identify patterns and connections, and make logical conclusions based on evidence.

Why is critical thinking important for a scientist or engineer?

Critical thinking is important for a scientist or engineer because it allows them to approach problems and challenges in a systematic and rational manner. It also helps them to identify potential flaws or biases in their own thinking and research, leading to more accurate and reliable results.

Can critical thinking be taught or is it an innate ability?

Critical thinking can be both taught and developed over time. While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards critical thinking, it is a skill that can be learned and improved upon through practice and exposure to various perspectives and methods of problem-solving.

How does critical thinking benefit the scientific and engineering fields?

Critical thinking benefits the scientific and engineering fields by promoting innovation and creativity. It allows for the development of new and improved solutions to complex problems, as well as the ability to identify and address potential flaws or limitations in existing theories and methods.

Are there any other important traits for a scientist or engineer besides critical thinking?

While critical thinking is essential, there are other important traits for a scientist or engineer. These include curiosity, perseverance, attention to detail, and effective communication skills. These traits help scientists and engineers to stay motivated, pay attention to important details, and effectively share their findings with others.