Motion along a line due to a constant net force

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of electrons in a cathode ray tube, given a constant force of 6.4E-17 N and a distance of 2.0cm for acceleration, followed by a constant velocity for an additional 45cm. The equation used is Delta(v)subx = Vsub(f)x - vsub(i)(x) = asubx(delta(t)), and after solving for acceleration using F = ma, the value of 1.00128E-21 m/s^2 is obtained. The next step is to use this acceleration to find the speed of the electrons when they hit the screen, which can be solved by taking into account that the acceleration stops after 2.0
.NoStyle

Homework Statement

In a cathode ray tube, electrons are accelerated from rest by a constant electric force of magnitude 6.4E-17 N during the first 2.0cm of the tubes length; then they move at essentially constant velocity another 45cm before hitting the screen.

A) Find the speed of the electrons when they hit the screen.

B) How long does it take them to travel the length of the tube?

Homework Equations

Delta(v)subx = Vsub(f)x - vsub(i)(x) = asubx(delta(t))

The Attempt at a Solution

well, we can reduce the equation to:Delta(v)subx = asubx(delta(t))

but then I only have a force in Newtons, and a distance of 2.0cm, then another 45cm at a constant velocity. So I don't even know how I can derive anything like Delta(t) or asubx.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey
I'm not really clear on what you are trying to do but try using [tex] F = ma [/tex].

hi ed, so I know the force which is:

6.4E-17 N = m*aI can google the mass of an electron, but should I really have to to solve this problem? Since the mass of an electron isn't given in the book?

(mass of electron = 9.10938188 × 10-31 kg in google search). so if I do your way:6.4XE-17 N / 9.10938188E-31 = acceleration ?

Since Newtons is essentially kg*m/s^2 right? Thanksedit:

So I get 1.00128E-21m/S^2 for acceleration

Last edited:
Yep, that's right.
Hmm it's strange that the mass wasn't given to you.
But to be honest I can't see anything wrong with this way.
If I was presented with this question I would do it that way.

Ed, that makes sense.

So I find the acceleration is 1.00128E-21m/s^2I convert that to centimeters and get:

1.00128E-19 cm/s^2 = accelerationso what do I do to solve question A which asks "Find the speed of the electrons when they hit the screen." ?

I have no clue what to do, any hints would be helpful. Thank you

Ok so read over the question again, it says that it stops accelerating after 2cm, right?

it stops accelerating after 2.0cm and then continues at a constant velocity for 45cm.

Thanks Ed

Recheck your calculation of the acceleration.

No problem.
:smile::smile:

hmm, I still get 1.00128E-21 m/s^2 for acceleration...

1. What is motion along a line due to a constant net force?

Motion along a line due to a constant net force refers to the movement of an object in a straight line when a net force acts on it continuously.

2. What is the relationship between force and motion along a line?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the force applied on an object, the greater its acceleration and therefore, the faster its motion along a line.

3. How does the direction of the net force affect motion along a line?

The direction of the net force determines the direction of the acceleration of an object and thus, the direction of its motion along a line. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's initial velocity, it will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down or change direction.

4. Can motion along a line due to a constant net force ever be stopped?

No, according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, an object in motion along a line due to a constant net force will continue to move unless another force is applied to stop it.

5. How is the net force calculated in motion along a line?

The net force is calculated by adding up all the forces acting on an object. This includes both external forces, such as friction, and internal forces, such as the force of gravity. The net force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.