1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Calculations. Does the child catch the truck problem.

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    A child is running at her maximum speed of 4m/s to catch an ice cream truck, which is stopped at the side of the road. When the child is 20m from the truck, the ice cream truck starts to accelerate away at a rate of 1.0m/s^2. Does the child catch the truck?

I know to begin, you must create an equation of both the child and the truck, but I'm having great dificulty doing so. The teacher didn't give us any form of equations so we have to come up with them on our own.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Pet sematary.

Do you know equations of motion? With and without acceleration? If child covers 4 m/s, how far will it get in - say - 3 seconds?

Try to draw the situation, it should help.

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    Well, I do know that distance = speed over time. But there isn't a time given in the question, so I don't understand.

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Compare roads covered as a function of time and check if you can find time after which they are in the same place. If not - they will never meet in the same place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?