Motion Equations by Newton's Formalism for a Double Pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the equations for a double pendulum using Newton's formalism. The person asking for help already has the Lagrangian and wants to obtain the same equations using Newton's formalism. Another person suggests different approaches and warns that the algebra may be difficult. The person seeking help shares their progress and notes that the resultant equation does not match the expected one.
Daniel Boy
By Lagrange's formalism, the motion equations for double pendulum are:

Eq1.png

Using Newton's formalism I can't obtain the second equation. Anyone can help?
Dp.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello @Daniel Boy , ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Usually, at this point we ask 'what have you got so far ? ' (for the 2nd eqn, I mean)
You do have a Lagrangian already ? Or do you try a Newton approach from scratch ?

Perhaps a comparable thread (with ##l_2 = l_3##) is :

PaBlo14101066 said:

Likes Daniel Boy and etotheipi
If you want to use the Newton formalism, there are some different approaches you can take. Maybe the easiest would be to write one ##\boldsymbol{\tau} = \dot{\boldsymbol{L}}## equation for the whole system in coordinate system with origin at the topmost hinge, and then another ##\boldsymbol{\tau}' = \dot{\boldsymbol{L}}'## equation for the lower rod only in a coordinate system with origin at the position of an ##m_1## [N.B. this latter coordinate system will be accelerating, so you need to include a further 'fictitious' force ##-m_2 \boldsymbol{a}_1## acting on ##m_2## in your analysis].

I think the algebra will be a little nasty, whichever way you go about it. Good luck!

Likes Daniel Boy
BvU said:
Hello @Daniel Boy , ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Usually, at this point we ask 'what have you got so far ? ' (for the 2nd eqn, I mean)
You do have a Lagrangian already ? Or do you try a Newton approach from scratch ?

Perhaps a comparable thread (with ##l_2 = l_3##) is :

I already have the Lagragian. I want to obtain the same equations using Newton's formalism, so I did the free body diagrams:
1.png

For m2, I found F2 (analysis in x) and I found the following equation (analysis in y):
2.png

So, using F2 in the free body diagram for m1, the resultant equation does not coincide with:
3.png

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system that consists of two pendulums connected by a rigid rod or string. The motion of a double pendulum is highly complex and chaotic, making it a popular subject for study in physics and mathematics.

2. What is Newton's formalism for a double pendulum?

Newton's formalism for a double pendulum is a set of equations that describe the motion of the system based on Newton's laws of motion. These equations take into account the masses, lengths, and angles of the pendulums, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

3. How do you solve motion equations for a double pendulum?

The motion equations for a double pendulum can be solved using numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, or by using a computer program. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller steps and calculating the position and velocity of the pendulums at each step.

4. What factors affect the motion of a double pendulum?

The motion of a double pendulum is affected by various factors, including the initial conditions (such as the starting positions and velocities of the pendulums), the lengths and masses of the pendulums, and any external forces acting on the system (such as gravity or friction).

5. Why is the motion of a double pendulum considered chaotic?

The motion of a double pendulum is considered chaotic because even small changes in the initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes. This is due to the system's sensitivity to initial conditions, known as the butterfly effect, which makes it difficult to predict the exact motion of the pendulums over time.