Motion, Finding stopping distance

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance the driver of a minibus must be from a traffic light in order to stop in time. With a mass of 1.5*10^3 kg and a speed of 30m.s, the driver applies a force of 9*10^3 N on the brake pedal. Using the equation a=Fnet/m, the acceleration is found to be 6 m.s^-2. To find the distance, the equation d=d0 + v0t +1/2at^2 is used, with d0 representing initial position and v0 representing initial velocity. By solving for d with a time of 5 seconds, the minimum distance is calculated to be 150m.
TheRedDevil18
I just want to confirm if what I am doing is right, please correct me because my textbook gives me a different answer.

Homework Statement

The mass of a minibus with the driver is 1.5*10^3 kg. The driver is moving at a speed of 30m.s when he notices that the traffic lights ahead have turned red. He applies a force of 9*10^3 N on the brake pedal.

A) How far must he have been from the traffic lights if he were able to stop in time?

Homework Equations

a=Fnet/m
s=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a=9*10^3/1.5*10^3
= 6 m.s^-2

using the equation a=v/t i got a time of 5 seconds

so
d = s*t
= 30*5
= 150 m but my textbook says it is 75 m

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you are using for distance only works for a constant speed.

Try other equations like:

d=d0 + v0t +1/2at^2

that are suited to constant acceleration.

doppelganger said:
The equation you are using for distance only works for a constant speed.

Try other equations like:

d=d0 + v0t +1/2at^2

that are suited to constant acceleration.

What is that 0 in the equation. Is it initial distance and final velocity?

TheRedDevil18 said:
What is that 0 in the equation. Is it initial distance and final velocity?
d0 is initial position.

v0 is initial velocity.

His initial velocity would be 30m.s but what is his initial position?

If you find out how much distance the driver covers as he stops, you will know the minimum distance that he must be from the light to stop in time.

Ok thanks, i will try it out

1. What factors affect stopping distance?

Stopping distance is affected by several factors, including the speed of the object, the condition of the road surface, and the condition of the vehicle's brakes. Other factors such as weather conditions and the weight of the vehicle can also play a role in stopping distance.

2. How is stopping distance calculated?

Stopping distance can be calculated using the formula D = 1/2 * V2 / a, where D is the stopping distance, V is the initial velocity, and a is the deceleration. This formula assumes a constant deceleration rate, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

3. What is the difference between thinking and braking distance?

Thinking distance refers to the distance traveled by a vehicle between the moment the driver perceives the need to stop and the moment they begin to apply the brakes. Braking distance, on the other hand, is the distance traveled while the brakes are being applied. Both of these factors contribute to the overall stopping distance of a vehicle.

4. How does vehicle weight affect stopping distance?

As a general rule, the heavier the vehicle, the longer the stopping distance. This is because a heavier vehicle has more momentum, and it takes longer to slow down and come to a complete stop compared to a lighter vehicle.

5. How do road conditions affect stopping distance?

The condition of the road surface can greatly impact stopping distance. A wet or icy road surface can reduce the friction between the tires and the road, making it more difficult for the vehicle to come to a stop. In contrast, a dry and well-maintained road surface can provide better traction, resulting in a shorter stopping distance.