1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in the Presence of Velocity-Dependent Resistive Forces

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small piece of Styrofoam packing material is dropped from a height of 2.10 m above the ground. Until it reaches terminal speed, the magnitude of its acceleration is given by a = g - bv. After falling 0.400 m, the styrofoam effectively reaches terminal speed, and then takes 4.90 s more to reach the ground.

(a) What is the value of the constant b?
    (b) What is the acceleration at t = 0?
    (c) What is the acceleration when the speed is 0.150 m/s?

2. Relevant equations

a = g - bv
    R = -bv
    Terminal speed = g/b

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm, ah.. very stuck on this.
    I know for sure (b) is 9.8 m/s (down) because when t = 0 v = 0, and thus the acceleration is just the gravity constant
    I thought I could using vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a(yf-yi) or y_f = y_o + at to find the acceleration... but those equations don't seem to fit that well.
    If have a feeling if I knew (a) I could find (c) but I'm just lost.. especially without a mass or terminal velocity.

I appreciate any help~

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Since you know the terminal speed, the following will allow you to calculate b:

After falling 0.400 m, the styrofoam effectively reaches terminal speed, and then takes 4.90 s more to reach the ground.

By the way, how did you determine the terminal speed in relevant equations?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    Ah.. um, thanks for your help~ but I found the answer a while ago and forgot I posted this
    ^_^
    I appreciate your help though~

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?