1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of a charge in a magnetic field

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    A particle of charge q and mass m starts its motion from origin with u=a i.A uniform B=b/4 i + (sin 60)/2 j exists everywhere in space.Find the component of velocity in y direction when z coordinate of it becomes maximum

Sir, if I find the magnetic force,Its component is 0 in Y direction.With no force acting in Y direction ,how come its velocity changes??

then I thought that

I'm missing one step:the force is in z direction initially but when it starts going in a circular motion then the x component of the field will cross with velocity and produce a force which has a component in y direction.
    plz help me!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Treat your velocity as some unknown function of time: [itex]\vec{u}(t)=u_x(t)\hat{i}+u_y(t)\hat{j}+u_z(t)\hat{k}[/itex]. Then use the expression for the magnetic field and the Lorentz force law to find the equation of motion for the particle. Then solve that differential equation for [itex]\vec{u}(t)[/itex] and plug in the initial condition [itex]\vec{u}(0)=a\hat{i}[/itex]. Finally, find where the maximum of the z-component occurs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook