• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Motion of an object dropped from a descending and ascending helicopter

• Thread starter donking225
  • Start date
a) A small mail bag is released from a helicopter that is descending steadily at 3.34 m/s. After 2.95 s, what is the speed of the mailbag? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . Answer in units of m/s

b) After the mailbag is dropped, the helicopter continues descending for 1 s but then stops. How far is the mailbag below the helicopter at 2.95 s? Answer in units of m

c) What would be the speed of the mailbag if the helicopter had been rising steadily at u = 3.34 m/s ? (Take down as positive.) Answer in units of m/s

2. vf = vi + at

3. I've already gotten the answer to a) which is 32.25m/s, but I do not know how to do b) or c) from my answer to a).

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I've already gotten the answer to a) which is 32.25m/s, but I do not know how to do b) or c) from my answer to a).
For b), you need a kinematic equation (valid for constant acceleration) that involves distance (usually denoted s). Do you have any such?

c) is exactly the same as a) but with a different vi.

For b), you need a kinematic equation (valid for constant acceleration) that involves distance (usually denoted s). Do you have any such?

c) is exactly the same as a) but with a different vi.
would this equation be appropriate for b) s=vi*t+1/2*at2

Last edited:
For c) would I use -3.34 as the vi?

Thanks for the help, I've got c) correct but am still confused about b).

Find s for both objects, what is the difference?

Note that the helicopter is not in free fall... Descending steadily...

I am assuming that the helicopter does not undergo a constant acceleration up during the 1s. The way it is written implies to me the helicopter stops instantaneously after 1s.

Last edited:
Find s for both objects, what is the difference?

Note that the helicopter is not in free fall... Descending steadily...

I am assuming that the helicopter does not undergo a constant acceleration up during the 1s. The way it is written implies to me the helicopter stops instantaneously after 1s.
Thanks, looks like I missed the obvious. I got the correct answer now.