Motion of quarks inside the neutron

In summary, using electron-neutron scattering, S.Kopeky (Phys. Rev. 1995) found that for small Q2, the equation for the neutron's rms-radius approaches -0.113 ± 0.005 {fm}^2 at Q2=0. From this, it can be concluded that the charge density is highest at the neutron's boundary and decreases towards the center, indicating equal probability for finding any of the three quarks (udd). As their charges cancel out at the boundary, the neutron appears non-charged from the outside. However, this information can also be obtained from Lattice calculations, which are more accurate and account for non-perturbative effects. The older approaches, such as
TheMan112
Using electron-neutron scattering I'm trying to find out how the three quarks (udd) behave inside the neutron. S.Kopeky (Phys. Rev. 1995) found that for small Q2 the equation for the neutrons rms-radius goes towards:

[tex]-6 \hbar \frac{dG_E ^n (Q^2)}{dQ^2} \right|_{Q^2=0} = -0.113 \pm 0.005 {fm}^2[/tex]

I'm not sure how to draw conclusions from this. I imagine the charge density being the highest at the neutron boundary and lower towards the center, this leads me to conclude that the probablity for finding any of the quarks is equal and the highest at the boundary and lowest at the center. Since the charges are +2/3, -1/3, -1/3 respectively they should then all cancel each other out at the boundary making the neutron appear non-charged from the outside.

Last edited:
Likes Sumit Patel
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to get this information from the Lattice---I think there's lots of non-perturbative goo that you have to deal with.

The assumptions leading to "the slope of the Sachs FF around zero is proprtional to the mean squared radius" are fairly strong. I can go into the details if you want, but basically you have a non-relativistic approximation relying on RM being large (with R the typical size and M the typical mass of the distribution you are probing). For the nucleon, RM~4.

In any case, those approaches are outdated by now. Generalized parton distributions contain the charge distributions in the transverse (spatial) plane as a function of the momentum fraction (xB). They can be (and are) calculated on the lattice. They can be (and are) measured, and modeled. The field is very active on all fronts I think.

edit
For all and more than you want on that
hep-ph/0504030

Last edited:

1. What are quarks?

Quarks are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons, which are the building blocks of atoms. They are considered to be the fundamental particles of matter, along with leptons.

2. How do quarks move inside the neutron?

Quarks are constantly moving and interacting within the neutron, due to the strong nuclear force that binds them together. They have a property called spin, which causes them to rotate and vibrate within the neutron's structure.

3. Can quarks move independently from one another inside the neutron?

No, quarks are always bound together in groups of two or three, known as hadrons. This means that they cannot move independently from one another inside the neutron.

4. Do quarks have a specific path or trajectory inside the neutron?

No, quarks do not have a specific path or trajectory inside the neutron. Their movements are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, which means that their exact position and velocity cannot be determined simultaneously.

5. How does the motion of quarks affect the properties of a neutron?

The motion of quarks plays a crucial role in determining the properties of a neutron. For example, the mass and charge of a neutron are directly related to the movement and interactions of its constituent quarks.