1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion problem with two rocks being released at different times

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the question is like this :you are in a balloon that is rising at a rate of 3.0m/s . you have two rocks. you release one when you are 50m above the ground. 2 seconds later you throw the other rock towards the ground . the two rocks hit the ground at the same time . what was the initial velocity of the second rock (with respect to the ground)

2. Relevant equations
    we have to solve it only using the simple motion equations such as:
    ∆d = Vi t + ½ a t2

3. The attempt at a solution
    what i did was to first say that :

t(rock1)=t(rock2)-2s and we also know that the second rock is released when we are 56m above the ground

then i proceeded to calculate the time it takes for the first rock to hit the ground (considering the fact that Vi for the first rock is 0)

then i subtracted 2 from this time and used it to calculate Vi for the second rock
    i used ∆d = Vi t + ½ a t2 to calculate both these things

the problem is im not sure im doing this right and i would appreciate it if someone could confirm my method
    thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

Surely -3 m/s ? The rocks will be moving with the balloon until they are dropped or thrown.

Apart from that your method looks OK.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    oops i was thinking about a different problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?