1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion with two constant acceleration phases

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    1.The cage of a mine hoist starts from rest and descends the top part of the shaft with a constant acceleration of 1m/s^2. For the remainder of the shaft the cage decelerates at a constant 2m/s^2 so that it stops at the bottom of the shaft. The total time taken for the descent is 60s. Determine the cage`s maximum speed and the shaft depth. The Answer is 40 m/s , 1200m but i do not know how i got it. We have to use the impulse equation, which states that Force= mass x time

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2
    nevermind the question is not about impulse, it is dealing with power. Anybody got any idea how to solve it? initial velocity is zero, accleration is 1, acceleration 2 is -2, time is 60 s. I am guessing we use integrals, and derive v/d from acceleration, correct?

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    any help please?

5. Mar 30, 2008 #4
    i think we have to take the integral of velocity/time, correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?