Motivation/Overwhelming amounts of information

• Thread starter BiGyElLoWhAt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's desire to learn about QCD, M-theory, and other related topics. They are feeling overwhelmed with the amount of material they have taken on and are unsure of what to prioritize. They mention their current projects, including studying differential geometry, general relativity, and various other sources for QFT and topology. They also mention plans to enroll in QM I from MIT open sourceware and eventually get into PDEs. The individual is seeking advice on what to keep and what to focus on.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
I could have also titled this thread so much to learn, so little time.

I don't know what to do, I really want to get into QCD and M-theory, but I know I need a lot more prereq's before I get to that point. I am feeling really impatient, however. and that's led me to try to get into a lot of stuff by myself. Now I have too much on my plate, and I don't know what to keep/get rid of.

Current projects:
Differential Geometry series on youtube.
General relativity (Relativity, the special and the General by good ol' Al himself)
QFT self study through various sources
Topology and Manifolds through various sources
Planned on enrolling in QM I from MIT opensourceware
Then planned on continuing through QM II into QFT and String Theory (string is the ultimate goal with this series)
QCD (recently reinvigorated by the pentaquark acclaimation)

And all of this will hopefully lead me to T.O.E. (after reworking Strong/weak and EM, don't ask me how yet, hehe)

This is just too much for me to handle, and I don't know what to keep and what to ditch. I'm inclined to keep the youtube series, mostly because I'm a good bit into it (10 hours or so)

I really want to keep GR because that's what I believe the TOE will look like in the end.
QFT and QM are necessary for QCD, String, etc...

The math is all prereqs that I don't necessarily enjoy working through, at least more than a bit. It would be nice if there was a summary of the subjects, that would allow me to look up proofs and explanations to things that didn't seem self explanatory.

I want to get into PDE's as well, but I'm not really sure how. I've gotten in touch with my prof to hopefully help with guidance in that field, but any advice would be appreciated.

Sooo PF, What do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep Quantum. I had Prof. Barton Zwiebach live and in person back in the day. He is awesome.

I really recommend working through QM I, QMII, and QMIII.

Both beautiful and foundational for many downstream courses and theories.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Thanks doc. I'd really like to keep them all haha. There's also more i'd like to take. There opencourseware is so vast and inviting

1. What is the best way to stay motivated when faced with overwhelming amounts of information?

The best way to stay motivated when faced with overwhelming amounts of information is to break the task or project into smaller, more manageable chunks. Set realistic goals for each chunk and celebrate when you accomplish them. This will help you see progress and feel motivated to continue.

2. How can I avoid feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information I need to process?

One way to avoid feeling overwhelmed is to prioritize the information. Start by identifying the most important or urgent pieces of information and focus on processing those first. You can also delegate or outsource some of the work to reduce your workload.

3. What are some effective strategies for organizing and managing large amounts of information?

Some effective strategies for organizing and managing large amounts of information include creating a system for categorizing and labeling information, using tools such as spreadsheets or databases to track and organize data, and setting aside specific blocks of time for processing and organizing information.

4. How can I maintain my focus and motivation when dealing with information overload?

To maintain focus and motivation, it is important to take breaks and recharge when needed. Engage in activities that you enjoy and that can help clear your mind, such as exercise or spending time outdoors. It is also helpful to remind yourself of the bigger picture and why the information is important to you.

5. How can I prevent burnout when faced with a constant stream of information?

To prevent burnout, it is important to set boundaries and establish a balance between work and personal life. Make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care. It can also be helpful to delegate tasks or ask for help when needed. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and staying present in the moment can help reduce stress and prevent burnout.