Prerequisites for Internship in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the speaker is a student in standard 11 with a strong interest in Quantum mechanics, QFT, QCD, and Quantum Geometerodynamics. They plan on doing an internship in India during their summer holidays and want to be well-prepared in order to avoid any difficulties. They are seeking information on the basic necessities and required knowledge for an internship in QM. The speaker also mentions that internships in QM may not exist, but rather are a tool to study a specific topic within the field. The required knowledge for an internship depends on the chosen topic, but generally includes linear algebra, analysis, complex numbers, classical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. The speaker suggests utilizing various resources such as textbooks and videos to learn these topics
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I would be in college in 2019 (currently I'm in standard 11). I'm greatly interested in Quantum mechanics, QFT, QCD and Quantum Geometerodynamics. Of these, I want to do an internship on the first, because I don't think I'll be able to touch the others till the 2nd year in college.

I'm living in Kolkata, and I intend to do an internship in India. Nevertheless, prerequisites should be same across good universities in the world.

I want to keep myself prepared to the greatest level possible so that I can apply for internship as soon as my summer holidays start.

What are the basic necessities that I must have in order to do an internship in QM? The topic may be anything on QM. What should be the minimum level of knowledge that I should have before I can apply for an internship?

I'm seeing many of my seniors suffer while doing internships because they were not aware of the prerequisites, and they are taking much longer than usual to finish the internship. I don't want that happening to me. Hence I want to be prepared as far as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t think there are “internships in QM”. That would be like an “internship in walking”. It might be required, but it is a tool to do something else.
At this level, that will typically mean (a) review existing literature about some well-studied topic or, as more ambitious project, do some calculations for something exotic that didn’t get much attention so far.

Required knowledge: It depends on what you want to do. Some very basic things require nearly nothing. If you want to understand what you are doing: Linear algebra for sure. Analysis is useful as well, but that can be more “physicist-style”: You should be able to calculate some derivatives and integrals, but you don’t have to know all the details of their mathematical definitions. Complex numbers. Classical mechanics, up to the Lagrange and Hamilton formalism. And quantum mechanics, of course.

While it is easier to learn these things with physical lectures and graed homework problems, there are various free and non-free textbooks, lecture notes and videos of lectures that you can have a look at.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is the minimum level of education required for an internship in quantum mechanics?

The minimum level of education required for an internship in quantum mechanics is a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some internships may also require a Master's or PhD degree.

2. Are specific courses or subjects required for an internship in quantum mechanics?

Yes, specific courses or subjects are typically required for an internship in quantum mechanics. These may include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and advanced mathematics courses.

3. Is prior research experience necessary for an internship in quantum mechanics?

Prior research experience is not always necessary for an internship in quantum mechanics, but it may give you an advantage in the application process. Internships may also provide opportunities for hands-on research experience.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that are highly sought after for an internship in quantum mechanics?

Some highly sought after skills and knowledge for an internship in quantum mechanics include programming skills, familiarity with computer simulations, and a strong foundation in mathematics and physics principles.

5. Are internships in quantum mechanics available in industry or only in academic settings?

Internships in quantum mechanics are available in both industry and academic settings. They may be offered by research institutions, government agencies, or private companies working in quantum technology or related fields.