Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motivations for plum pudding model (advanced)

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    Hello!

Is anyone able to direct me to information regarding the motivation of the plum pudding model of the atom (as opposed to a simply a collection of positive and negative charges)?

I am looking for an explaination at the advanced undergrad + level. I recall once reading an explaination in an introductory book, but forgetting it because I was able to recognise that it was a bogus exposition.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2
  4. Jul 18, 2011 #3

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

Your best bet is to try to find a biography of J.J. Thomson somewhere. Or at least an historical account of his cathode ray experiments. I know he formatted his hypothesis of the plum pudding model based on the results of those experiments, but I don't know much beyond what you can easily find on wikipedia and elsewhere.

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4
    There is a link on the bottom of the wikipedia page to an excerpt of Thomson's original paper. I have found the whole paper here :

http://www.cond-mat.physik.uni-mainz.de/~oettel/ws10/thomson_PhilMag_7_237_1904.pdf

In it, Thomson seems to show that if the electrons are restriceted to move in various planes whose centers are the center of a uniformly charged shpere, they will find their equilibrium in concentric rings in those various planes.

I cannot infer why he would use a uniform sphere of positive charge rather than a point charge though, other than that he anticipated the former would provide better test implications (about the chemical properties of various atoms, for instance). I may have to wait until I get back to my university to continue investigating, if I have time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook