Motor Box that rotates a threaded shaft

In summary, the speaker is seeking help finding a motor base for an existing machine. The machine has a threaded rod attached to a motor at the bottom and a winged nut at the top that cannot rotate but can move up and down. Cables are attached to each side of the nut, connecting to an emitter and receiver. The speaker has searched online but cannot find a suitable motor base with sufficient torque and computer control. They are willing to pay for it but do not want it to be unreasonably priced. The motor needs to fit inside a 10.4cm x 9cm enclosure.
Legaldose
Hi PF, I'm working on a problem for some guys and I need to add on to an existing machine. Attached is a back view of the machine (it's a drawing, sorry), there is a threaded rod that sticks out the back(white), attached to a motor at the bottom(black). There is a winged nut at the top of the shaft that cannot rotate, but can move up/down. There are cables attached to each side of the nut attaching to an emitter (pictured) and opposite that a receiver. I've looked everywhere online, but I just can't find the right motor base to go with this design, it needs to have a fair amount of torque(when the nut moves up it has to pull the emitter and receiver with it), and I would like to have it controlled via computer. Price is no object (university pays for it) however, I do not want it to be unreasonably priced.

The main part I need to find (or build) is the motor box, the rest is easy enough. So that's why I've come to you! If anybody knows of an existing part like this, please let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• Threaded shaft design.jpg
    Threaded shaft design.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 503
Engineering news on Phys.org
I should probably mention that the motor needs to fit inside a 10.4cm x 9cm enclosure

Last edited:

1. What is a motor box that rotates a threaded shaft?

A motor box that rotates a threaded shaft is a mechanical device that uses an electric motor to rotate a shaft with threads on its surface. This allows the motor to convert electrical energy into rotational motion, which can then be used to power other machinery or equipment.

2. How does a motor box that rotates a threaded shaft work?

A motor box that rotates a threaded shaft works by using an electric motor to turn a drive shaft. This drive shaft is connected to a threaded shaft, which is then rotated as the drive shaft turns. The threads on the shaft create a linear motion that can be used to power other devices or machinery.

3. What are the main components of a motor box that rotates a threaded shaft?

The main components of a motor box that rotates a threaded shaft include an electric motor, a drive shaft, a threaded shaft, and a control system. The control system is responsible for regulating the speed and direction of the motor, while the drive shaft and threaded shaft work together to convert rotational motion into linear motion.

4. What are the advantages of using a motor box that rotates a threaded shaft?

Some advantages of using a motor box that rotates a threaded shaft include its compact size, high efficiency, and versatility. This device can be used in a variety of applications, and its compact design allows it to be easily integrated into different systems. Additionally, the threaded shaft design allows for precise control of linear motion.

5. How is a motor box that rotates a threaded shaft used in real-world applications?

A motor box that rotates a threaded shaft is commonly used in industrial machinery, such as conveyor systems, packaging equipment, and automated assembly lines. It is also used in automotive applications, such as power windows and seat adjustment mechanisms. Additionally, this device can be found in household appliances, such as washing machines and garage door openers.