Mousetrap vehicle (please reply today )

• Thread starter aqua88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicle
In summary, the conversation is about a student's struggle with their mousetrap vehicle design for a Science Olympiad competition. They have a problem with their lever arm, as it goes down too quickly, limiting their distance to 6-8 meters. The other participants' cars have longer lever arms that go down over a longer period of time. They are seeking advice on how to improve their design, taking into consideration factors such as the moment of inertia, weight and drag, and the strength of the spring. Tips and tricks for maximizing power output and distance are also discussed.
aqua88
Mousetrap vehicle (please reply today!)

My first post :)
Hi everyone! I'm in Science Olympiad working on mousetrap vehicle, but there's a problem... My lever arm is as long as I can make it that the vehicle can support so I can even attempt to go the entire ten meters but it goes down WAY too quickly. I can only go between 6-8 meters because of this. On YouTube I've done quite a bit of research (I used the word quite xD) and all of the cars that do well have lever arms that go down over a relatively long period of time. Why do you think mine wont? Actually, I have a competition in 8 hours (7:30 tomorrow my time) and have been testing tonight. Please help me asap! Thank you so much :)

Engineering news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.
You know how these things work right? You are converting the energy stored in the mouse-trap spring into kinetic energy in the car - the spring will release the same amount of energy no matter what lever-arm you use so you need to think about the role the lever part plays. eg, if you accelerate too fast the wheels will skid, wasting energy.

How fast the arm moves will depend on the moment of inertia of the arm, the weight/drag effect of the cart, and the strength of the spring.

Some of the energy from the spring will go to turning the wheels ... so you need to consider the advantages of big vs small wheels.

General tips and tricks.

Since you are building for distance you want to minimize your power output.
You have already maximized your lever arm - next step is to adjust the pulley ratio by increasing the axle-to-wheel ratio. Fix a sewing bobbin to your axle.

Last edited:

1. How does a mousetrap vehicle work?

A mousetrap vehicle works by using the stored energy in a mousetrap's spring to power the vehicle's movement. When the mousetrap's spring is released, it pulls a string connected to an axle, causing the wheels to turn and propel the vehicle forward.

2. What materials are needed to build a mousetrap vehicle?

The materials needed to build a mousetrap vehicle include a mousetrap, wheels, axles, a string, and a sturdy base. Other optional materials may include lightweight materials for the body of the vehicle, such as balsa wood or cardboard, and additional weights to increase the distance the vehicle can travel.

3. How can I make my mousetrap vehicle go faster?

To make a mousetrap vehicle go faster, you can make adjustments to the design and materials used. Some ways to increase speed include using lighter materials for the body, reducing friction on the axles and wheels, and adding weights to the vehicle for more momentum.

4. What are some common challenges when building a mousetrap vehicle?

Some common challenges when building a mousetrap vehicle include getting the right balance of weight and power, reducing friction to increase speed, and ensuring the vehicle's structure is sturdy enough to withstand the forces generated by the mousetrap's spring.

5. Can I modify the mousetrap to make my vehicle go farther?

Yes, you can modify the mousetrap by adding a lever or pulley system to increase the amount of tension on the spring and therefore increase the distance the vehicle can travel. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and avoid modifying the mousetrap in a way that could cause harm or damage to the vehicle or yourself.